Outdoor socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just want to clarify that what i'm doing is correct. I have a 10mm SWA cable running from the house to the garage. In the garage I have an RCD main switch, and I will install an earth rod. Just a few sockets and lights in the garage at the moment. However I now need to run cables for a garden light and I need a socket at the bottom of the garden. Should I run two separate cables or will one do for the both? thinking of running 4mm SWA. Run is approximately 60m. Any advice?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why do you think you need to install an earth rod? I would try to keep the lights and power socket separate, 4mm² may be on the edge for volt drop at that sort of distance. Are you aware this work is notifiable to LABC under part p of the building regs?

Yes I am aware, I have already notified the LBC. I was going to install an earth rod because the supply to the garage has already been installed a few yaers back. It only has two cores, dont think the armour is good enough!?
so maybe 6mm2 for the sockets and 2.5mm for the lights

Providing the armoured cable has been properly terminated the the armour will be more than adequate.

Sponsored Links
daviesrt said:
It only has two cores, dont think the armour is good enough!?

Correctly terminated and connected to a TN system earth, it'll kick the ass of the Ze you'll get from an electrode

(though if its TNC-S there could be other justifications for using an electrode...)

System is TN-S. So I could use the armour right? Even if the armour has corroded slightly because it is an old run, and armour at garage end has been left exposed (for over 10 years). Another quick question with regards to the armour. For lighting purposes I assume a two core SWA can be used and the armour used as an earth. My new lights will be double insulated, however i need to pick up some old light fixings on route.
Thanks

How badly is it corroded? Chop the bad bit off, re-terminate and test to see how good an earth you get then decide if it's ok.
You can pick up that earth when it's terminated using a banjo clip etc so shouldn't be a problem if the SWA is in useable nick (I would use SWA to garage then conduit or trunking to fittings instead of running the SWA everywhere)

Yes i will be using conduit in the garage. sorry i meant using the armour as an earth for outside light fittings in the gaden?

Hi guys.

On similar lines to the original question:

I have been looking for sometime at putting power to my gurage (15 meters from consumer unit). I have determind that i would require SWA cable. As my power requirements are fairly low and have little budget I was going to use 1.5mm - would this be too small?

Also - i would like to avoide digging up the garden to run the cable - can it be attached to a wall or does it have to go underground?

Thanks in advance :)

I suppose you could probably get away with 15.mm² SWA on 16A breaker, but it seems kinda wrong even if the calcs bear it out for some reason

I'd use 2.5mm² minimum, and it can be attached to a wall (but don't leave it hanging between walls, you'd need a cantenery(sp?) wire for that)

Your new socket will have to be RCD protected, and this is notifiable work

Adam_151 said:
I'd use 2.5mm² minimum, and it can be attached to a wall (but don't leave it hanging between walls, you'd need a cantenery(sp?) wire for that)

I would route it underground for just the sections between walls.

Adam_151 said:
Your new socket will have to be RCD protected, and this is notifiable work

Yeah :!: notifiable work :!: the bane of a DIY person - if only there was a way of certifiying for yourself for your own DIY and not trade.

Lastly - the current consumer unit (CU) has no more space for RCDs - would a external RCD unit connected to a spare non-RCD trip (in the original CU) be allowable or would it be better to go from the external RCD stright to the primary switch output of the original CU ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back