Advice on how to remove top of an old basin tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old basin tap which is leaking and I want to replace the washer. Can somebody tell me how the top comes out. I have tried removing the 'C', hoping there would be a screw or nut underneath but I can't pierce it out. Does one have to lift the whole top in order to get inside?

upload_2018-2-22_11-59-53.jpeg

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I would think the black cap needs to come off first to reveal a screw ,either by levering off or unscrewing.try pouring very hot water over it first. Sometimes the expansion of heat makes it easier .

Sponsored Links
It pulls up - I remember them- Andy, just cuz the OP's in Herts, no need to spend £;)

Last edited:
Andy is in Hertfordshire too and said New tap time - maybe he wants to sell you a pair ;) ( me + Andy have occasional banter - usually about me being old)

Andy is in Hertfordshire too and said New tap time - maybe he wants to sell you a pair ;) ( me + Andy have occasional banter - usually about me being old)

And also looking for plastering work for his son...........but i'm still waiting for Nige to be on the Jeremy Kyle show. Want to see DNA proof, his 'son' is too good looking.

:D:D:D

Andy

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back