Advice on joist size for treehouse/ raised platform

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi it's my first post so please bear with me!
I wish to build my daughter a two storey play tower, the first floor being the base connected to four 4x4 posts and the second platform 5ft higher. The plan i have is pretty basic but the problem i have is a lack of cash but a shed load of 3x1 treated timber. I know i should build both platforms using 4x6 joists but i was wondering if it would be too unsafe to use up the timber at hand (3x1)? The base will be 6'x6' and the upper 6'x8'. Could i place joists closer together with extra noggings? or is 3" still to small to risk? obviously my daughters safety comes first but looking at the cost of treated timber joists it seems such a shame not to be able to use the stack i already have. Thanks in advance to anyone. D :D

Sponsored Links
If you have lots then sister the timber making 3X2 which is fine , my granddaughters ready made platform play house uses nothing greater than 3X 2. Unless your children suffer from obesity. ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, i think doubling up the 3x1's is a good idea and peace of mind. cheers. Dan.

heeelllooo and welcome dansim :D :D :D

i am assuming you have planning permission and choose not to comment or do not understand what we are talking about

if you dont have planning permission for a platform above 300mm and someone complains you may need to remove or get planning
:oops:

Quick guide to pp.
* No outbuilding on land forward of a wall forming the principal elevation.
* Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof.
* Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwelling house.
* No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.
* No more than half the area of land around the "original house"* would be covered by additions or other buildings.
* In National Parks, the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and World Heritage Sites the maximum area to be covered by buildings, enclosures, containers and pools more than 20 metres from house to be limited to 10 square metres.
* On designated land* buildings, enclosures, containers and pools at the side of properties will require planning permission.
* Within the curtilage of listed buildings any outbuilding will require planning permission.

Thanks for the heads up on the PP but am well aware of it. Fortunatly I live in a place thats a good distance from all neighbours and certainly from view. I would be very unlucky to be paid a random visit, the plans will be built in woodland also. If push came to shove though, speedy demolition happens to be my forte! :confused:

thanks for your reply :D
we also need to remember every post will be read by hundreds with similar ideas and what seems like pointless comments will help others and save us a lot off repeated comments and heart ache by adding "important points"so it wont come to mr bore next door demands you take it down

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back