Advice on Lawn aerating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I posted here last year as my lawn was very thread bare. It was suggested it was compacted soil and I should use an aerator.

So it's almost time to reseed and aerate . The local hire shop has powered Aerator for £81.90 a day +VAT. So it's quite pricey. The machine itself is supposed to be for large lawns, sports fields etc. It sounds overkill to me but they don't have a smaller one except a manual one. From what I've read manual aren't that good as they don't remove the cores from the soil, so the compact it around the holes.

Here's a couple of pictures of my lawn.

DSC02506.jpg

DSC02507.jpg

In the first you can see that the neighbours on the right have a good lawn so I guess it must be possible where I live. And in the second you can see how it doesn't grow at all around the path, in that very shady spot.

It's a north facing garden so I'm concerned it's a shady thing too.

So, any advice?

Is the powered aerator suitable?

Should I use a manual instead?

I was planning on reseeding with a mix of normal and shady grass seed.

Any tips most welcome.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks,

Got some good tips from that site.

I still don't know what aerator to use though.

But thanks

Sponsored Links
Honestly don't worry just use a fork, people rightly say that of course with a fork you simply add more compaction but that is at putting green quality levels. For a normal lawn a fork pushed in 6 inches and then a few bags of sharp sand brushed over the surface will do it the world of good.

I'd be worried about getting a nail through my foot with that contraption. And bending my rake. Those manual core aerators are great in soil that doesn't need aerating, rubbish in soil that does as the tubes block and they are a pain to clear.

If you are over 60 then get something with a petrol engine, under 60 use a fork. Though looking at people on the high street yesterday most of them would end up in casualty if they did that much exercise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back