Advice on Lime Plaster please

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi,

I'm helping my friend clear out a 200 Yr old cottage he's going to renovated. Builder has said that he will put batons on the internal walls and then insulated board . There will be a gap allowing the walls to breathe and so there won't be a damp problem. A lot of the old lime plaster is loose.
Should we be removing all the old lime plaster before he puts the boards up or can the more solid plaster stay in place??

I'd be grateful for any advice, thanks a mil

Sponsored Links
Would be better removed if it's crumbled away and surface uneven.

If it's still there and all together just board straight over

It makes sense to minimise contact between wall/ plaster and batten as the damp will potentially bridge there. If you're removing the plaster why not let the wall dry out and use new lime plaster to let the wall breathe. Is there a rendered outside wall typical of Irish cottages and what does the builder say about its condition?

Blup

I'd love to replace the lime render on the inside but my friend is a bit OCD about straight walls so he doesn't want that. Unfortunately this isn't a restoration because he wants to, it's because he has no other choice if he wants to have somewhere to live. Very long story.....
So do we need to remove the old plaster do you think?

Sponsored Links
The loose plaster, to reduce the risk of it bridging the gap between wall and the inside of the board.

AFAIK lime plaster is applied smooth and flat like any other.

Blup

Treated timber and plastic shims to level, and chop out the loose plaster.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back