Advice on new double socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody,

Currently I have a walk in cupboard off the hallway which I want to use as an office, but there is no electrical sockets in there. The intended plan is to use the office for a PC, router, printer, monitor, laptop etc etc.

In the hallway there is a single ring main socket (not a spur, one t&e in, one t&e out) which is on a wall backing onto the walk in cupboard. I have two options as far as I see it: -

1. Run a new double socket spur from the hallway into cupboard. There is no other spur running off this socket. I will then use a 8 way surge protected belkin extension to provide power to the office kit.

2. Extend the ring main into the cupboard by running 2.5mm t&e from hallway socket into cupboard and then running 2.5mm t&e back to the hallway and connecting with a 30amp terminal block (not feasible to use juntion box) to the t&e leaving the hallway socket currently (disconnecting it from the hallway socket).

My questions are: -

1. Based on the kit I will be plugging in, is there a favoured option between spur or extending ring main?
2. I have some 2.5mm t&e but the core is stranded as opposed to solid, is there any problem with this?
3. Is there anything I have not considered as part of my planning?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Naqi

Sponsored Links
In the hallway there is a single ring main socket (not a spur, one t&e in, one t&e out)

No guarantee that this is a ring, it could be a spur going to a spur, you need to test this.

A double socket on an unfused spur seems to be common practice. If you put a 13A FCU in the circuit, you could run as many sockets as you like on a fused spur and do away with the extension lead.

Sponsored Links
1. Based on the kit I will be plugging in, is there a favoured option between spur or extending ring main?
Not for that kit, but in general it's better, IMO, to extend rings rather than add spurs. As cumbriahandyman says, you do need to check that it is actually on the ring.

2. I have some 2.5mm t&e but the core is stranded as opposed to solid, is there any problem with this?
Does it actually say on it, or on the reel, that it's 2.5mm²? It'll be getting on a bit - I wouldn't use it without checking its insulation resistance.

3. Is there anything I have not considered as part of my planning?
Is the circuit on an RCD?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back