Advice on new Kitchen wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

In the process of installing a new kitchen, got to the point now where electrics need doing before we can get it plastered.

I will be getting an electrician in to do the work but before I do I was planning on doing the chasing myself so hopefully he can come and do it all in a day.

This is my kitchen plan with my ideal socket layouts. (excuse rubbish sockets it was done on paint :) )

IMG_20160110_0957577.jpg

My knowledge on electrics is next to none so please excuse me if something seems daft.

The cooker is being moved to the other side of kitchen, it will be duel fuel, electric oven with a gas hob. This will be on its own circuit, with a cooker switch that goes down to either FCU or Flex outlet (no idea which is better im just going to chase the wall ready)

I haven't even though about cooker hood options so will ask the electricians advice when hes here, part of me is thinking about not having a cooker hood.

The dishwasher option seems the most logical to me, it will again be a fcu or flex outlet running off the 13A double, no idea if this is the best route? I don't know how long the cables are on these things so I have put a socket with a blanking plate to keep within safety zones and extended it round behind dishwasher. I don't know if I even need to bother chasing these along with the cooker one as they will be below kitchen cabinets?

Below are some current photos of the kitchen with overlays.

PANO_20160110_0951211.jpg

PANO_20160110_0956299.jpg

The gas pipe in the photo is being re-routed up the chase that has already been done. The electric cable that is just hanging will be removed, this used to go through chimney void that I removed.
The current socket where cooker is going will be removed, all sockets currently in the kitchen will be removed and the kitchen will be on its own circuit as its currently just on downstairs ring final.

I'm guessing it will be an simple job for the electrician as having the CU in the kitchen is just a case up going up into ceiling and back down again.

Any advice is appreciated, and like I say im just asking about the chasing routes, the electrician will worry about the wiring and equipment used.

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Have you contacted an electrician yet, as I would do this before you start any work and talk to them about your requirements as they will be the person signing this work off. Cable must be routed in the permitted safe zones, they can be found on Wiki //www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Installation-Techniques. You have at least one socket possibly two, that would not be considered to be safe, as it looks as if it they are within 300mm of the hob, which guidelines state it should not be.

Hi, i would advise wait until your electrcian has look at the job, he will be responsible for the installation so he needs to be happy with the cable routes, let him mark up the chase's for you to cut. Saves time and energy !

Regards,

DS

Sponsored Links
You need to get this electrician in first, otherwise you will be wasting your time cutting half the wall out. They probably won't want to put the wires where you think they should go.

Unfortunately you have chosen an Ikea kitchen, which has no service void behind the cabinets.
If a normal kitchen had been selected, almost all of the wiring could have gone on the walls behind the units, no chases required. Including the gas pipe one that has been cut already.

You need a cooker hood, opening the window isn't enough to get rid of all that moist air from cooking. We are nearly finished with our kitchen except the extractor. If we use the hobs the windows steam up pretty fast....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back