Advice On Remove One Upstairs Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

First post so here goes.

I need to remove a single radiator with a thermostatic knob on it from my daughters room, its in the upstairs bedroom, our house has a combi boiler.

I have contacted a plumber who says the whole system needs to drained for the radiator to be removed and is quoting me £70

Does this sound right? As I was under the impression that the system doesn't need to be drained, just the valve's closed on the rad pipework?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
TRVs differ, and it is better to remove the head and fit the plastic cap it came with, which I bet you now don't have :). If it's only going to be off a short time just close both valves.

Hi,

Thanks for replying, now I don't have the cap that came with it, and it will be off for a few years :/

But what about draining the system? Does that sound right? Basically i don't want to do the job myself as its not my place, its rented but I don't want to get ripped off either :/

If it's off for a few years I'd definately drain down and cap the pipes. Especially if rented, the valves would be too easy to mess about with.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thanks for your reply :)

Yeah he was on about draining the boiler/system and then putting inhibitor or something back in it.

I thought just the rad needed to be drained and then the pipes capped?

Hi,

I think I have buggered up asking what I actually need done, as you can tell I am not a DIY person.

Right after talking to other people who have all been on about draining the system and things.

All I need doing is the radiator taken off, the pipes and valves can all remain in place, when I said about a cap, I just meant a cap over the end of the thermostatic valve where it would normally connect to the rad.

Thanks
Jon

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
My experience of thermostatic valves is they all leak and you end
up having to drain the system down.

So much for progress.

Hi,

Many thanks for the comments everyone.

In the end my ex brother in law did it, I forgot he's corgi registered lol.

Anyway, only took 10 minutes and no leaks so all good in the end :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back