Advice on roof work please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone.

This is a bit long winded, sorry for the long post.
We've had some roof work done today by a local company and I'm not sure if I'm entirely happy with the work they've done.

Bit of background, we've not long bought the house, when removing excessive loft insulation we found a leak below a valley.

It must have been meaning for some time as it had rotten away a large piece of timber that the trusses sit on.

We don't know any roofers so we used the local council recommended list and Which Trusted Traders to find someone with good reviews.
The roofer we ended up using said the valley had collapsed and needed replacing completely.
They quoted £2000 for this to be replaced and the rotten beam cut out and replaced.

Bit expensive I thought but maybe that's how much it costs for quality work, plus maybe scaffolding and we wanted it to last.

All the other roofers from the recommended lists either didn't turn up or never called us back and we needed this fixing before we could move onto other work so we went with the first one.
Anyway, three of them turned up today at 0830, did they work from ladders, and were gone by 1430.
Which made me worry slightly that it was a bit quick for £2k of work.

When I got back from work I had a look from inside the lofts (you can't see this area from the ground outside) and I'm not happy with what little parts I can see.
To be honest I'm really angry actually, but I'm no expert so maybe this is entirely fine?

First off, the wooded beam that was rotten hadn't been fully cut out, just the bit that they could access from outside (I don't know why they didn't come inside as my wife was at home).
The new piece of wood isn't the same size as the old piece, maybe that's immaterial, but it hasn't been bonded to the old pieces of wood in any way.
I'm worried that might end up with movement of some kind.

The felt has been left hanging down.

There's been a small piece of weather board installed under the tiles and felt that's supposed to help water find its way into the guttering but for some reason those tiles have been wedged upwards with a bit of scrap wood. I guess to raise the tiles to get the water into the gutter?
I don't know why they didn't just install the weather board slightly lower down instead though.

But it's then left a large gap, I can nearly fit my hand through it, that will 1) let birds and other animals inside and 2) when it's raining and windy (we're on top of a hill so the wind can be fierce) the wind will most likely blow water through the gap and onto that same wooden beam.

I've attached some pictures if you can decipher them.

I guess I was expecting excellent craftsmanship for that sort of price and it kinda seems a bit bodged.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Attachments

• DSC_1019.JPG
    DSC_1019.JPG
    368.2 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC_1014.JPG
    DSC_1014.JPG
    206.6 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC_1017.JPG
    DSC_1017.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 134
Sponsored Links
Some people call them felt support trays, if you can get them back then they need to eliminate those holes or you will have squirrels.

Sponsored Links
Some people call them felt support trays, if you can get them back then they need to eliminate those holes or you will have squirrels.

I've just spent the last month cleaning and hoovering out the filth in the loft and I've disposed of no end of old birds nests and chick skeletons and that was when there was just a small gap between the tiles and the guttering
At this rate there'll be eagles nesting in there soon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back