Leaking roof - views please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a 1920s semi with slate roof, no membrane so just slates onto the slats.

I haven't lived in the house long and we ran out of cash on renovating the rest of the house so haven't touched the roof.

I've spent a fair bit of time In the loft though and it seems dry enough.

However the roof does need some attention - most obviously the ridge tiles need resetting as quite a bit of cement has come loose.

Onto the problem.

In the really bad weather recently (torrential rain and wind) I had a bit of a leak - only a small amount of water.

When I went into the loft I could only find some damp tiles starting around half way between the main ridge and the guttering. The water must have flowed down a couple of tiles to where it dripped onto the ceiling below.

The first roofer said it was a combination of the ridge tiles needing attention (I didn't spot any dampness near them), and also the stench pipe needing a new lead capping (this is probably 4 feet down from where I spotted dampness)

I'm a bit dubious as to whether this can really be the source of the leak given that the dampness was pretty much central in the roof, and I didn't spot any moisture near the main ridge.

My 'theory' is that because the roof doesn't have a membrane, and we had torrential rain and strong winds, then the rain was simply driven underneath the tiles and into the loft.

Can this happen to this type of roof?

If I'm right then I'm not sure spending upto £1000 (quote the first roofer gave) will even help with this leak, and i assume I will probably need a new roof with membrane to combat this.

I live fairly high up so winds can be pretty strong.

Any views from experienced roofers welcome. I want to fix it, but I don't want to chuck £1000 at it only to find its a waste of money as the only way to sort the leak is with a new roof.

Ps - I'm getting a second roofer to look at it...

Thanks
Robin

Sponsored Links
Slate roofs generally don't leak.

If the ridge is leaking, damp will be below the ridge. Likewise for a lead slate.

For the slates to leak there will be a slipped or cracked slate, and it will be visible.

They don't need any under felt or membrane.

Sponsored Links
A thousand pound to fix your roof !!! it sounds like he dose not want the job or he thinks your a chump.
get more quotes

correct the underlay/felt isnt there to keep you dry. it can help though...
post a pic.

Hello,

I have a four simple method for you which will help you can fix a leaking roof problem. You should try to work on the roof on a day when the roof is dry.
Technique-1) Fixing Shingles
Technique-2) Roll Roofing
Technique-3) Damaged Shakes
Technique-3) Connections
Through this article you can get the complete procedure of this technique http://www.wikihow.com/Repair-a-Leaking-Roof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back