Leaking roof !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, as stated I've got a leaking roof. We had a roofer (cowboy) refurb our semi top dorma roof. They took off the ridge tiles, roof tiles above the fibreglassed flat roof then re battened, re feltetd and then put the roof and ridge tiles back. Well all I can say is what a bodge. The ridge tiles were just dumped back ontop and badly pointed, the chimney lead was painted with fiber glass and the tiles were all crooked. Anyway after a few months i noticed a water mark appear about the center light fitting. I stuck my head in the loft and looked between the joints and could see a drip coming from a gap in the flat roof roofing boards. We had a the flat roof fibreglasses about 8 months ago and the roofer used 600 wait glass matting and it seemed like a good solid job but it does pool a lot of water. My main question is, could the fibreglass split and crack in this small amount of time and could be leaking water onto the old felt roof beneath and then leak through this or could water be leaking from the badly painted ridge tiles or chimney lead work ?? I've got some pics to upload which will give you a laugh !!
Any advice would be greatly appropriated

Cheers
Paul

Attachments

• IMG_2285.JPG
    IMG_2285.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_2287.JPG
    IMG_2287.JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_2296.JPG
    IMG_2296.JPG
    241.8 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_2297.JPG
    IMG_2297.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 152
Sponsored Links
That could be leaking anywhere.
Surely they have not laid a fibreglass straight on top of an old felt roof.

OP, why not stand back and photo the whole roof, the dormer, the dormer (flat?) roof, and the chimney stack?
Its difficult to understand which roof you are talking about.
FWIW: the fibreglass could have been leaking from its installation.

Sponsored Links
Hi all, cheers for the replys. Well I was up the roof last nite. I sweped and dried the flatroof but couldn't see any holes or marks in the fiberglass so hopefully that should be ok. As for the fiberglass roof i was told that new boards went down a judging by the smooth flat finish I believe that to be true. But what I did notice was when I checked the chimney stack. Our flue is capped with a metal gas fire pot were as next doors is just an open (12 to 13 inch) pot and all the mortar had dried and turned too sand. When I looked down the chimney, I could see clearly the insides had blown on my side. I even reached in and felt the dampness, Typically this is the way the rain and wind blows so it wouldn't effect next door. So i reckon the rain is travelling down the chimney breast, through the old inner pointing and making its ways down to the flat roof somehow. Anyway my next step is to see about getting there redundant chimney repointed and capped.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back