New roof leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

About two years ago we decided to get a new roof put in, as the previous roof was pretty old and had several tiles broken, while it wasn’t leaking we decided to take a preventative measure and just get it done.

We own a detached house with straight pitch roof towards back and front of the house, the roof is a modern dry ridge ridge roof with a membrane.
About a year later, our roof started leaking around the ridge side where the chimneys were. we took some photos called the roofer and got him to come and have a look, he looked at it, sent a message a couple days later that after inspection there was nothing wrong with it. And its wasnt the roof fault.

We spent a few months trying him to return our calls with no result, eventually we got a couple roofers to come out and we end up going for the cheaper route. These roofers said that dry ridges tend to leak and they would fit a sealant (which i found out was just silicone eventually) alongside the top of roof and the ridges, as soon they left the leak continued.

i called them a couple more times, while they came out each time to look at it their solution was just to throw more silicone at this.

Eventually i got another roofer recommended which fixed several roofs of people i knew, and he got in the roof while it was raining slightly and there was damp, moved some tiles and said, the roof membrane was dry, but the chimneys were full of damp. (Even though the leak started before the chimney breast).

He suggested lowering the stacks, checking all the ridges to make sure it was fine, remove all the old cement and repoint the chimneys (there are two chimneys alongside this wall which were closed off)

as soon he finished the job it rained a few days later and the leaked appeared as it always did. The roofer came promptly and said the roof was dry alongside the ridge but the top gabel on the wall had a damp, he said he redone all the membrane that goes there and suggested if doesnt work to fit a wet gable.

It hasnt rained since, and while i am not a professional i am struggling to understand if a wet gable should be fit with a dry system?

How should the membrane be fitted alongside a dry ridge? So that the water doesn’t run alongside the wall into my attic?

Is the last roofer correct to suggest a wet gabel is the way forward if the leak persists?

Many thanks and apologies for the long post, i am just getting really desperate as I don’t know what else to do

Attachments

• 429BD6EA-E89C-4938-A6F8-B5C0DC5F2B62.jpeg
    429BD6EA-E89C-4938-A6F8-B5C0DC5F2B62.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 363
  • D367391C-B72C-4E6C-8BBD-C5941A7DA606.jpeg
    D367391C-B72C-4E6C-8BBD-C5941A7DA606.jpeg
    302.4 KB · Views: 436
  • 185D0ABF-99C1-4745-9A63-123B4EDCD235.jpeg
    185D0ABF-99C1-4745-9A63-123B4EDCD235.jpeg
    341.2 KB · Views: 374
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back