Terrace cottage roof leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In October I noticed a leak on my bedroom ceiling. I had a leak that was running along the timber frame from the pitch of the roof/ adjoining neighbours wall and hitting my bedroom ceiling.
Back in 2021, I noticed a tiny damp patch in the same area and a roofer came out and pointed the chimney breast side that faces my roof (this is not my chimney) as he couldn’t see anything wrong with my roof. It was put on before I moved in, it is probably less than 10 years old.
I had to get a different roofer to come and look at it in November as my usual one was too busy. He said my felt was dry and couldn’t see anything from the outside. Again, commented my roof still looked new. He asked me to check with my neighbours if they had a leak as they had a new roof put on last year. He said they don’t have any leaks in their loft. The roofer said he would come back with another ladder to get a close look at the chimney stack. The chimney stack doesn’t service my house at all, so I’m reluctant to have to pay for pointing on the other sides of it.
Roofer never came back, anyway.

I’ve just gone up into the loft again to see how bad it is as we’ve had a lot of heavy rain just now in Yorkshire and it’s now leaking at the other end of the roof. more sleepless nights listening out for the constant dripping into a bucket.

I managed to contact the roofer that put the roof on, but I wasn’t left any kind of guarantee. I suspect it was a cash sale job as the owner’s dad was builder and arranged all the renovations. He didn’t offer to come and have a look, he told me to paint some extreme climate stuff on the chimney stack! (I haven’t)

I’ll try and upload outside photos tomorrow. I’m just looking for some advice before chucking loads of money that I don’t have trying to fix it. Considering getting a survey done to try and locate the leak.

Original leak (wet patches on the timber)
IMG_8353.jpeg

New leak at other end of the roof

IMG_8351.jpeg

To me, it looks like it’s the original ridge running along the roof. Could that need replacing?

Sponsored Links
Outside pictures may give a clue
IMG_8362.jpeg
IMG_8359.jpeg

Hi @datarebal
The left is where I’ve had the initial leak and the right is where I found the new one last night. The right chimney services my house (one gas fire)

Rear photos
IMG_8361.jpeg
IMG_8360.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8358.jpeg
    IMG_8358.jpeg
    296.3 KB · Views: 34
Sponsored Links

I always struggle when people post lots of photos, to try to work out what the photos are actually of, in relation to their problem. It help considerably if you annotate them, mark them front/back, and which is your property, which are your chimneys etc..

Yes, the ridge looks suspect, so does the cement flaunching, around the left of the chimney to roof tiles, on the chimney on the left, in your last photo. However, I am no expert on roofing issues.

The lead flashing doesn’t look to clever around either chimney.

I’m sure there would be soakers but can’t see any -pics probably too far back

IMG_8357.jpeg

Pink arrow is where the first leak is coming from. Running down the timber, but I can’t see where it begins from when I’m in the loft.

IMG_8397.jpeg

Last night, the leak began where I was pointing from and running down it and dripping onto the horizontal beam and onto the floor.

The green arrow is where the second drip was coming from, but I appeared to look like it was coming from the other side of the roof. Obviously, I know water can get in anywhere and come out from a totally different area.

Yellow chimney is mine. I did ask my neighbour why they only put lead around half of my chimney when they put the new roof on and not all the way round. He assumed it was because that side of the chimney that is (old looking cement) is his side ‍♀️ (his responsibility)

The lead flashing doesn’t look to clever around either chimney.

I’m sure there would be soakers but can’t see any -pics probably too far back
Thanks.

The lad came and had a look at it was on the roof and said he couldn’t see anything. I’m assuming he would know if there were soakers? If so, would that have been picked up on that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back