Advice on rotted joist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi peeps

Really need some advice . So I let my current builder go due to poor work in my house

I need advice on a joist isuse

So when the builder took down my kitchen celling he said one of my joist was rotten in a small area. He screwed 2x2 timber underneath for support said it will be fine and plasterboarded the celling

So I have looked inside the celling through extractor fan pipe hole and I'm a bit confused

The first joist that goes across the wall it appears to have wood behind it and that is what is rotted ? What is this wood behind the joist ??

I have attached images where you can see the joist going across and builders timber is underneath . It's the wood behind this joist that is rotten in a small area

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240320-074344.png
    Screenshot_20240320-074344.png
    1 MB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20240320-074444.png
    Screenshot_20240320-074444.png
    962 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20240320-074449.png
    Screenshot_20240320-074449.png
    1 MB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20240320-074344~2.png
    Screenshot_20240320-074344~2.png
    1 MB · Views: 53
Sponsored Links
What is above the ceiling? Bathroom?

Is there a leak?

Is the rotten joist soft to poke with a screwdriver?

Andy

Reactions: CBW
What is above the ceiling? Bathroom?

Is there a leak?

Is the rotten joist soft to poke with a screwdriver?

Andy
Hi andy bathtub is directly on top the leak was very old it was resolved . As you can see in the pic this joist is fine. What's behind is brittle in a certain area . What is this wood behind the joist where the arrow is pointing as that is what it rotten

Withourt you taking down the plaster board and providing more pictures it would be anyones quess.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Looks like a noggin/support, it’s not a joist. It also appears to be 3x2 timber used, not 2x2.

Sorry yes it's 3x2 . The noggin joist is rotted from the bottom half but as you can see the actual joist on top is ok . Is this anything to be worried about ?

I’m not a joiner, but I’d say it’s fine, as it’s only a noggin. The joists give the support.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back