Advice on Shower pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just installed a new shower, but my trad system water pressure is insufficient & it requires a pump - I know how to fit one properly ok, just need advice on which one to get & where from to suit my requirements.

Both my hot water cylinder & cold cistern are in the loft - 22mm pipework off both, the shower is directly below - so there will be a VERY short run from the outlet of the pump to the shower - probably only around 1.5 Metres, so basically:

The shower is a dual overhead rain head / hand shower, thermostatic monoblock

Do I need a 1.5 bar pump or 2.0 bar?
Best make/model to get - Grunfos/Salamander etc
suppliers (with fast delivery!) I am based in Nuneaton, Warwickshire.

Any other relevant advice welcome

Thanks very much in advance

Sponsored Links
Don't get a Stuart Turner Pump, they don't honour their guarantees. Salamander all the way.

Sponsored Links
That's wayyy out of my price budget,

Its only for one shower, positive head with a very short pipe run from pump to shower - do i need 3 bar?

also don't want something that's going to empty my cylinder in 5 mins

I'm going to get this one (as I get 3% discount at screwfix & am ordering a load more stuff at same time, so will be 3% off total order :) )

http://www.screwfix.com/p/salamande...ead-twin-shower-pump-with-isolators-bar/46231

or this one:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/salamander-pumps-ct50-xtra-regenerative-shower-pump-1-5bar/20423

one seems to have a higher flow rate, which will obviously empty the cylinder quicker - and my lodger like his long showers! so I will prob go for the lower flow rate one

or this one, if 2.0 bar would be better?? :

http://www.screwfix.com/p/stuart-tu...bar-positive-head-twin-shower-pump-2bar/1053d

That's not what I was told by the company that installed the bathroom (or the manufacturers spec for the shower (the company wanted too much extra to supply & fit the pump, when I can easily do it myself)

The output of the pump will literally be only about 1 metre away from the shower - directly above, would 2.0 bar be sufficient?

Also, the existing gravity of the hot water isn't that bad anyway - as my cylinder is in the loft

I'm not taking it as 'red' what I was told - that's why I'm asking advice on here :)

Basically I just need to know now what pressure pump to get - would a 2 bar be sufficient?, just to refresh the application:

mixer shower with overhead rain shower & hand held shower (it's not a 'cubical' or steam shower type enclosure)

Positive head - both H/W cylinder & cold-feed tank mounted in loft

Pump will be located right next to cylinder - surrey flange/tap off already fitted, tap-off approx 800mm from cylinder

Shower directly below cylinder one floor below - VERY short pipe run from output of pump to shower - about 1 Metre downwards.

If I don't get any further advice or recommendations I am planning to purchase this pump tomorrow:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/stuart-tu...bar-positive-head-twin-shower-pump-2bar/1053d

Thanks in advance

What make/model shower do you have? This information will assist with selecting the most appropriate pump for your shower

It should be noted that the pressure ratings on shower pumps are the maximum that the pump can achieve with zero flow rate, and that the pressure will reduce as the flow rate increases. Cheaper pumps tend to lose pressure faster than more expensive ones and can also be noisier in operation

I recommend Stuart Turner Monsoon pumps, which are made from brass and come with a five year warranty

I can find out the shower make model.

Another major factor people seem to forget when recommending stuff - budget! - I cannot stretch to a S/T Monsoon model currently, I'm looking for a cheaper compromise based on the single shower application (that isn't going to have horrendous use, as there are only 2 of us in the house) + the fact that next summer (or possibly 2016 now) the whole CH & HW system & boiler is being ripped out & replaced with either a system boiler or Combi

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back