Advice on spirit levels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want a good 800-1000mm one but wow what a mine field! Why such massive price differences, can understand a bit!! Presume Stanley is best, but what's the difference between the I Beam and box tube type? I Beam seem lots cheaper. I' measure and fit plantation shutters so need to see if sills, headers and reveals are true. Plus I do great deal if DIY (although virtually at the end of restoring our Victorian home so should have bough it yonks ago, rather than using the crap Wicks one I have!

Time to buy a new one, but what one???

Sponsored Links
I always go for the solid bar 50mm fellas because they are nice and wieldy and easy to clean

Never ever buy the ones with the horizontal vial set in the middle of the level, always buy the ones with the vial on the top edge.

Get a level with a plumbing vial at both ends.

Stabila and Stanley are reliable and robust.

Always check the level before buying making sure you spin the level around when checking the plumb vials. Same with the horizontal - spin it around and check t'uther way.

Get one with a "fast" bubble. Some levels use a liquid that is so thick or a phial that is so barrel shaped that the bubble would hardly move ("slow") even if the level was at an obvious angle. You can check this when you're buying the level - set it on the counter, see where the bubble is then lift one end of the level ever so slightly - the bubble should move.

Will be an ebay jobbie so I'll not have the chance to look at it, that's why I wondered if there was a particular make/model which is guaranteed to be good.

Sponsored Links
As noseall says, Stabila or Stanley. Not cheap but good.
Take care of it and it'll last years. Hang it up when it's not being used.

all my levels are stabila faithful,and ive had them all quite a number of years now.
if your going for a 6' jobby make sure the vial isnt right at the end,as its a P.I.A to read it when your at full stretch.

So what's the difference between a single or a double ender then (no pun intended ) but still so lol!! And or Stanley fat max extreme or stabila 96-2 ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back