Advice on staining/oiling a pine stool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to stain a pine stool I have and would like a little advice in this area. The kind of colour I'd like to achieve is a golden teacle brown one. And the finish would be a matt satin like effect. Not unlike the linseed oil finish a lot of furniture is finished in nowadays. Obviously I know pine grain isn't going to give me oak or beech like looks but I'd just like to give the stool a bit more of an oldish look. I've been looking at Danish oil, what would people here think of using that?

Could someone point me in the direction of any good articles on this or give me their thoughts on products I should be looking at using?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I have used many times (and to great effect) liberon coloured danish oil, i think the colour was jacobean oak and it gives a pretty nice result on pine.

Stain and oil all in one and really easy to apply. Time to get out the bicycle chain!!

didn't know it was made, I always made my own, just add wood dye to danish oil, it dilutes the colour quite a bit so a mid oak gives a light oak finish but does give a very even finish.

r896neo, by the looks of Liberons website this isn't made? At least not as an all in one product. Are you sure you don't mean Liberon Palette wood dye together with their Danish oil?

Sponsored Links
teak oil may be dark enough for you - it's a mix of linseed and tung.
or just boiled linseed oil. cheap and cheerful. wipe off excess after 20 mins. leave to dry for 24hours or so and repeat a couple of times.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back