Advice on taking down this prehistoric greenhouse/conservatory...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all.
Tomorrow I will finally be taking down this ancient aluminium conservatory (which I believe is actually just a greenhouse). It was there when we moved into this house in 1997 and it was horrendous back then.

WP_20160513_001.jpg WP_20160513_003.jpg

It's insanely ugly, freezing in the winter months, unbearably hot in the summer and leaks like a sieve.

My question is, can anyone identify it? And where do I start taking it down?

I believe it's an 'Eden' which is stamped on all the glass, but I can't find a picture anywhere on the internet which is similar to this one.

As for deconstruction, the entire thing bolts together which is handy but I've no idea where I would start with this. Logic would say the roof. Looks like a lot of modern greenhouses have glass which is held in with metal clips - this has no such thing, just rubber seals all around (most of which have perished).

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Oh, such a nice piece! If it's anything like the greenhouse I took to pieces, you'll find all the glass is clipped in with stainless steel clips. Support the glass, pull out the clips, and safely store the panes. Once the glass is out the frame is bolted together and possibly in this case screwed to the house brick somehow.

Nozzle

Thanks Nozzle.
Yes the whole thing is bolted to the brickwork so that looks quite easy.
Good tip on the stainless clips, I can't see any anywhere from the inside or outside so they must be concealed somewhere.
Amazingly, a relative is actually taking this away to use for it's intended purpose as a greenhouse! :eek:

Edited/Deleted by rsgaz
(didn't realise you were salvaging it!)

Sponsored Links
It's toughened glass XXX Triplex like the old car windscreens so it will shatter in a million pieces if it's going to break:eek: so protection is essential - and luck

2Nd picture seems to show silicone sealant, so they may have lost the clips in the last transfer, and just sealed everything in. Trying cutting round a panel and see what the result is. Alternatively, is it like a double glazed window, in that you put in the seal, then clip a piece over it.

Well it came down today. I was in work all day so don't have much information as to how things came apart but I'm told it was extremely difficult.
Such to the extent that they decided there was no way in hell it could ever be reconstructed (things had seized, rubbers had perished etc) and some metal had to be cut with a grinder.

So I'm left with a pile of aluminium and glass in my garden!

Anyone interested in it is welcome to pick it up if they have a van. All the glass is intact, none broken!

Shame you couldn't have kept the roof, and just ditched the walls.

Leaky it may have been, but by this time next year you will realise how much you miss having a covered patio.

Shame you couldn't have kept the roof, and just ditched the walls.

Leaky it may have been, but by this time next year you will realise how much you miss having a covered patio.

Missing it already to be honest and it's only been down for two days.
Suddenly feeling very exposed at the rear now.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back