Ugly Conservatory Roof Eaves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I have a wooden conservatory, built in the early 2000s (before I bought the house) and it has a rather ugly feature which I cannot figure out how to hide. Where the glass floats over the eaves, there is a box section filled with white rockwool insulation which is visible through the glass from the outside. At the bottom of the glass, corresponding with this area, this is the residue of glue or some sticky film on the glass which might have been some sort of cover. Anyone come across this configuration and is there a solution to cover it up without preventing rainwater from flowing on down to the gutter?

Attachments

• IMG_9896.jpg
    IMG_9896.jpg
    434.3 KB · Views: 180
Sponsored Links
probably a method of preventing cold draughts through the eaves, eaves fillers are used on sheet-roofed structures, but I can't really make it out from your photo. try some more from inside and outside.

Thanks John. I've attached a couple more photos. As you can see, from the inside the open box section is hidden where the glass sits on the eaves beam. Whereas from the outside that area is exposed and visible through the glass. I was wondering if some lead flashing would do the job of hiding it...?

Attachments

• IMG_9897.jpg
    IMG_9897.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_9899.jpg
    IMG_9899.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 144
If it wasn’t for the second pic I would have said the laminate was contaminated inside the glass as it looks just like it, but yes as Alexander said it’s something to help with the cold bridging/insulation.

Sponsored Links
Thanks both. I understand the purpose of the insulation. My question was more about how to hide it from the outside as it is visible through the glass. Wondered if anyone had any ideas? Cheers.

It wouldn't really worry me but are you able to access that area under the class?
You could paint the glass or apply a sheet of opaque material under the glass.
Maybe stainless steel mesh? something with round holes.
Thin aluminium may work.

A further option would be to paint the glass outside/ apply a vinyl sticker over the outside glass.
Something automotive/nautical would be best due to extreme heat and water running down the roof.

I once painted a double glazed room's windows black to get a true blackout and a few panels cracked under heat build up.

Thanks Tigercubrider, I was thinking along the same lines. I can't get under the glass from the inside at all so it would have to be done externally. A matt vinyl material might just do the trick. But I also wondered about lead?

Lead would work?
I would be concerned that any material on the outside either sticks like **** to the glass where the water comes down the roof. Or somehow raise it up so any liquid can safely run off?
I am sure there must be a mastic that would do the job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back