Covering a conservatory during roofing work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We urgently need some repair work done on our Victorian semi - slate roof and cast iron gutter. It will need scaffolding to get to it and this has to be built on top of our lean to conservatory at the side of the house. We want to get the conservatory glass roof covered before the scaffolding goes up to protect it from falling tools, tiles and other items. Any suggestions on the best way to do this?

Sponsored Links
Your builders should cover it with sheets of ply.

I don't have builders, I have a roofer waiting to go on the roof when the scaffolding is up. He has recommended a firm of scaffolders he uses as he does not do his own scaffolding, but they have not had to do a job before like mine ie over a conservatory in a slightly tricky position. Sheets of ply would be fastened how? - my conservatory roof is glass and hardwood beams which are very hard indeed, tacking anything into them isn't easy and I don't want it hammered full of holes.

I don't have builders, I have a roofer waiting to go on the roof when the scaffolding is up. He has recommended a firm of scaffolders he uses as he does not do his own scaffolding, but they have not had to do a job before like mine ie over a conservatory in a slightly tricky position. Sheets of ply would be fastened how? - my conservatory roof is glass and hardwood beams which are very hard indeed, tacking anything into them isn't easy and I don't want it hammered full of holes.

The scaffolders need to erect a scaffolding structure ( carefully ! ) which covers the conservatory and then board it out with ply - can be fastened to the scaffolding by cable ties.

Sponsored Links
You could speak to the scaffold company, They will fully net the scaffold and even board out over the glass roof if they are paid to do so.
It's not in their interest to damage the glass as it will bump up their insurance premiums , which are huge anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back