Roof Chippings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a flat roof extension with lean-to conservatory attached. The extension is about four years old and then we had the conservatory added on. The fall is from right to left toward conservatory as you look from end of garden with the guttering far left on boundary perpendicular to house. The roof was covered with stone chippings when built which was fine. Now the conservatory has been added every time it is windy or heavy rain the chippings are washed onto the roof of the conservatory. I am forever brushing these off and have tried to clear up as many loose chippings as I can from the extension roof but I do not want to compromise the integrity of the roof. Short of having the roof entirely replaced does anyone have any thoughts on what I could cover (or maybe spray) the roof with to avoid the constant clatter and cleaning of chippings ?

Sponsored Links
You could always try putting the chippings on with mastic or chipping compound. This should stop them being blown or washed away.

Whip the lot off and paint roof with solar reflective paint available from any roof merchants, does the same job as the chipping as its name implies.

Thanks very much for your replies, Some chippings have been embedded into the surface but it is just the many loose ones which are the problem.

Anyway, about 2 or 3 times a year I have to use the roof to clean the conservatory, inspect the guttering downpipes etc. Would the paint, be ok to be subjected to this minimal amount of foot traffic.

Sponsored Links
The only real downside to solar reflective paint is the reflection. It should not really be used in places where it can be looked upon (i.e. if you can view the roof of an extension from a bedroom window which sounds as may be the case) In extreme circumstances this can cause a situation akin to snow blindness. Texmex's reply is the best one in those circumstances.

Thanks for your reply. It is on a north facing extension so glare does not particularly strike me as a problem. It is a terraced house and the kitchen extension which takes half of the back wall right to left and thelean-to conservatory the other half. The conservatory roof is the one directly below the back bedroom window. Although the extension roof can be seen from the bedroom window it is below and to the left, actually directly below the bathroom window which is frosted.

Besides I take it we are not talking about extremes of weather in England LOL

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back