Leaking conservatory roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My conservatory roof is leaking and I'm looking for some advice on fixing it. I acquired the conservatory when I bought the house, so I have no idea who installed it or how old it is. It doesn't look like a particularly expensive one, I'd guess it was a DIY kit to be honest.

It's full length glass walls with a uPVC frame.
The roof panels are twin wall plastic (I'm assuming polycarb) and they rest on what look like glazing bars - based pictures I've found on the web.

I think my problems are due to the fact the caps on top of the glazing bars don't fit snugly.

First question, how are you supposed to fit those caps?
(Not the ends - the actual strip that goes on the top).
Does it simply push down onto the aluminium bar or does it slide on from the (low) end?

Second question - if it pushes down - how do you reach the end that's nearest the house? I don't have exact measurements but taking into account the pitch I would guess the roof panels are approximately 2 metres long by 1.2 metres wide. Far too long for my arms if I'm stood on a ladder at the bottom of the roof.

This leads me to my third question - can I (safely) crawl on a roof like this?

I've seen HSS do a conservatory roof ladder - but that basically rests on the glazing bars - so if that's on the glazing bars - how do I fit the plastic covers/caps on them?

I'm toying with the idea of crawling on the roof - one knee either side of the glazing bar - doing my best to reseal the covers as I go but as you can see I'm a good bit puzzled by all this!

I think the only other 'detail' I can chuck-in is that the glazing bars don't look like the sort you screw to wooden battens - I think they are self supporting - oh - and I weigh about 12 stone! ;o)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Chris.

Sponsored Links
Glazing bars snap in - well, knock in with a mallet really

Look at this crowds brochure for details www.casupply.co.uk

You either stretch with a mallet, put a piece of timber on and hit that, or pop a sheet out to reach the adjacent ones at the top

If you need to get on the roof, then you need to span a suitable board across all of the glazing bars, and possibly prop them from below too

Don't just crawl on the bars - they can buckle before you can say ... "WTF?"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back