Polycarbonate Roof covering - Lean-to conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a polycarbonate roof covering to my rear lean-to conservatory, it is triple layered, has panels 4 metres in length supported at eaves and wall bracket. The panels are apparently 3 years old, have cover strips externally with stop ends. there is no evidence of glazing bars though, internally, just looks as though the panels are fitted up against each other.

In one corner of the roof, the panels are very loose in the middle when pushed up and are letting in water. A couple of the cover strips have slipped down the roof also.

My question is twofold, shouldnt the panels have intermediate glazing bar support? Does anyone know what type of roof this is? (most I have reserched that are self supporting seem to require glazing bar support).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
they must have some glazing bar or they would be buckle in the middle. In the picture showing the gutter I see what looks like thin rubber strips and if they are not in place then they cannot act as the seal.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
[/quote]

That is what I thought, but from the internal view, theres no evidence of a glazing bar supporting the panels from below, usually they are both internal and external.

Any ideas?

this looks like an ultralite 500 roof (sheets are 500mm wide) sheets slide together and they have a thin central aluminium support that slides between the joined sheets giving the appearance of a seamless roof from the underside. the top capping clips into the aluminium but yours looks like it has become dislodged generally these roofs are okay try taking the cappings off and having a look it wont do any harm then knock the cappings back on lubricate rubber seals with glass cleaner and knock back into correct position you may need someone to hold underneath to stop glazing bars bouncing when you knock the caps back on

Sponsored Links
This looks rather like my ultrailite 500 roof. However i can see the glazing bars in mine if i look from underneath. They are just above the bottom layer of the polycarbonate.

I know they are there as i watched the thing being built! The chaps that built it happily walked around on the bars. Plus i've been up there myself on some crawling boards to paint the wall above.

I tested one the polycarbonate off cuts for strength when mine was being built. Supported it down the sides in a similar manner to the glazing bars and then tried putting my weight on it. It just bent out of the way till it dropped off one of the supports.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back