Conservatory roof - using EPDM on polycarbonate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a small 3x3m Victorian style upvc conservatory. I think it was built by Anglian when the house was constructed in 2001. We've never used it as it was south facing and suffered from the usual too-hot-in-summer, too-cold-in-winter, and the noise is unbearable when it rains. Heat reflecting strips inserted into the polycarbonate roof helped, but didn't solve the heat build up problem.

Apart from a few holes in the outer layer of the 16mm multiwall polycarbonate roof panels, it is still water tight after patching up the holes.

I'm looking to 'extend' the life of the roof for as little cost as possible. Some if not all of the panels will probably have to be replaced.

The cost of converting the roof to a tiled roof is too high imho.

I noticed you can now buy EPDM rubber roofing kits for sheds, and I was wondering is it possible to glue the same material on top of existing polycarbonate roofing sheets. The edges can be held down by the existing roof bars? The EPDM may or may not help with reducing the noise from rain too.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this daft idea ?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I dont think it would be a great idea unless you insulate as well.

Black EPDM will get really hot in the sun........

It would help a bit with rain noise, but not much as its only 1.2mm thick.

What about insulating it with celetex, then overboarding with 11mm osb, then epdm.

Or you could cover it with celetex tyoe insulation that has plywood stuck to it.

I would go with Notch suggestion, you need timber to glue Epsom too .Internal insulation would help and you could cover with plasterboard .

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back