Leaking Glazing bars after bodged repair

iep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a timber conservatory which was repaired after the roof sprung a leak last year (the old timber glazing bar caps had gone soft). Otherwise, the conservatory is in excellent condition and the actual glazing rafters are all solid and dry. The roof is large (about 3.6m x 8m) and slopes away from the house at about 6 degrees (so quite shallow).

The company we hired to do the repair removed all the old glazing bar caps and polycarbonate panels and then used lengths of 75mm x 10mm timber (along with a lot of silicon sealant) in place of the old glazing bars caps to hold the panels back in place.

After a few months, the roof started to leak again so the company came out and added more silicon sealant. This has now failed again so the company have agreed to perform a further repair.

I suggested replacing the timber caps with a system like this:

http://www.cabp.co.uk/acatalog/Vale_Glazing_Bars.html

I even offered to pay for materials. However, the company insist that it will be better to use flashband tape over their timber caps due to the shallow slope of the roof. My feeling is that they are attempting to bodge the repair again so that it lasts a couple more months until the warranty on the original repair expires. However, I am no roofer.

Can anyone comment on the use of flashband tape on polycarbonate roofs? Would the Vale Glazing bars work any better?

I'd really appreciate peoples thoughts as I have to get back to the glazing company tomorrow.

Cheers,

iep

Sponsored Links
The company we hired to do the repair removed all the old glazing bar caps and polycarbonate panels and then used lengths of 75mm x 10mm timber
How much did you pay them to do this bodge and do you have any photos to upload here?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back