Leaking Roof Advice - Is This A Bodge?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Conservatory roof is leaking and wondering whether the way it has been fitted is a bodge or whether it has been done correctly and simply needs re-doing after all these years of exposure.

1. [Photo 002 and 003] The felt which overlaps the roof at the front has peeled away and water is draining underneath (see arrow on photo 002). Is this the correct way to seal this junction between the flat felt roof and the polycarbonate conservatory roof? In which case do I merely need to reapply bitumen underneath the felt? Seems like a bodge to me and would like to do this job properly.

2. [Photo 001 and 004] The joist which supports and to which the polycarbonate roof is fixed into has a lot of water staining and there is no seal between the roof sheet and the timber. Should this be siliconed or are there especially made seals to fit between this type of roof and joist?

Sponsored Links
the whole thing looks like a bodge to me. I'd call it a lean-to.

They don't look like that in the conservatory brochures that I have seen. There are lots of reasons it is not water tight. And if you say you want to do the job properly then pull it down and start again is my advice. In the mean time you need to put a corner piece were you have the blue line all the way from your house down to as far as you can go over the felt. You can buy it from a pvc fascia place, they do one that is 100x80mm it will create a drip edge.

Sponsored Links
In answer to your question yes the detailing is a bodge, and the best you can do under the circumstances is what catlad advised.

Just as I had thought, awful piece of work! Am I correct in thinking that the lower part of the polycarbonate roof should be above the felt of the flat felted roof? i.e. This is what needs to be done when ripping out and starting again? Or is there another way to create the junction between the flat felt roof and the conservatory roof?

There are numerous ways of weathering junction detailing.

Yours has been done without any thought and very amateurish, if possible the pollycarb sheet would be kept above the flat roof to make weathering the junction simpler and neater.

That awkward sloping junction betwixt polycarb and flattie may have to be dealt with via a parapet arrangement and lead weathering.

There are numerous ways of weathering junction detailing.

Yours has been done without any thought and very amateurish, if possible the pollycarb sheet would be kept above the flat roof to make weathering the junction simpler and neater.

Would you mind detailing some of these ways please?

I'm thinking something like this, but not sure if there is a better way and how to finish the detail at the point where the polycarbonate roof emerges above the flat roof?

That awkward sloping junction betwixt polycarb and flattie may have to be dealt with via a parapet arrangement and lead weathering.
Not quite sure how that would look in practice, any chance of a longer description or a cheeky diagram? Very much appreciate your input :).

Not quite sure how that would look in practice, any chance of a longer description or a cheeky diagram? Very much appreciate your input :).
If there is a wall below, separating the the flat roof building and the polycarb roof building, then this wall could be built up through and beyond the level of both roofs, onto which both roofs could be successfully weathered.

That is an option which would definitely solve the problem. However, any other options your fellas can come up with which don't involve building-up the parapet wall?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back