Advice on type of plastering to use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I have just finished a two story extension to the side of the house.
around 3.5 metres by 9 metres.
The walls of the extension are celon solar internally with the flank of the original house in ibstock bricks.
Ive had two quotes for plastering.
One render and skim at 3100
one hardwall and skim at 2500

I was going to go with render and skim until second guy said there would be problems with cracking and it would be messy. he said he always recommended hardwall and he could knock it up in each room and its quicker.

Im not worried about messy as ive had months of dust n mess.

what I would like to know is what u guys recommend as i want a good crack free finish.

I think the prices are fair enough considering the walls n ceilings n reveals to be done but with one saying hed always render and one saying always hardwall i dont know what to think.

the hardwall guy said the suction on the celcon solar would cause problems with render.

ANY advice gratefully received

Sponsored Links
Any light weight block is a pig for shrinking and cracking, they can be float and set with either but if the blocks crack then it will crack
the finish plaster.
I wouldn't like to guess which is best at your expense, sorry.

i would go with the render option myself your less likley to suffer damp problems with that, if the other spread always recomends hardwall he may not be able to do f&s with s&c, granted its quicker and easier, but your house will be a lot better off with render, he will damp the walls down b4 floating to minimise suction so it shouldent crack

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back