Can i Mix Waterproofer in with Hardwall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey guys, so i have a bit of damp on an external wall that is coming through internally, its either cause by penetrating damp outside (most likely) or condensation inside.. if its condensation i will vent the area accordingly, but if i knock the wall back am i able to mix a waterproof solution in with hardwall??

and if so will this be a good enough solution?

i know it normally says to mix in with a sand/cement mix but i dont feel as comfortable using render as i do with hardwall (ive only done a 2 week plastering course and just feel more comfortable with mixing hardwall and finishing plaster - personal preference)

a damp guy that came out to quote for a DPC on a diff wall put his damp meter on the wall and he said the walls quite damp but hasnt been helped by the previous owner just skimming over the top of the wall and not treating udnerneath

its not rising damp as it happens near the top of the wall too but other than pealing and flaking paint, and the odd cold patch, it doesnt actually grow mold or cause major problems..

thanks in advance for all your help

Sponsored Links
hey guys, so i have a bit of damp on an external wall that is coming through internally, its either cause by penetrating damp outside (most likely) or condensation inside.. if its condensation i will vent the area accordingly, but if i knock the wall back am i able to mix a waterproof solution in with hardwall??

and if so will this be a good enough solution?

i know it normally says to mix in with a sand/cement mix but i dont feel as comfortable using render as i do with hardwall (ive only done a 2 week plastering course and just feel more comfortable with mixing hardwall and finishing plaster - personal preference)

a damp guy that came out to quote for a DPC on a diff wall put his damp meter on the wall and he said the walls quite damp but hasnt been helped by the previous owner just skimming over the top of the wall and not treating udnerneath

its not rising damp as it happens near the top of the wall too but other than pealing and flaking paint, and the odd cold patch, it doesnt actually grow mold or cause major problems..

thanks in advance for all your help

You need to sort the cause of the damp out before you do anything. Why dpc quote?

Hardwall can't be used in damp situations.

What type of house id it and how old?

the guy who told me there was damp in the wall with the reading, he was just there for a different problem entirely which is now sorted, but he just put the meter on the wall for me quickly..

im assuming the damp is coming from the outside, i thought guttering but i have no problems in the upstairs room with flaking

i have an early 1900's house with no cavity, just old stone walls, and thought that hardwall would act as a good undercoat and i could mix it with waterproofer and then skim?

basically i was wondering if could substitute sand-cement with hardwall, or if its HAS to be rendered first??

the guy who told me there was damp in the wall with the reading, he was just there for a different problem entirely which is now sorted, but he just put the meter on the wall for me quickly..

im assuming the damp is coming from the outside, i thought guttering but i have no problems in the upstairs room with flaking

i have an early 1900's house with no cavity, just old stone walls, and thought that hardwall would act as a good undercoat and i could mix it with waterproofer and then skim?

basically i was wondering if could substitute sand-cement with hardwall, or if its HAS to be rendered first??

Can you take some picture inside and out? You need to take care with these damp proof companies. Solid brick walls that are lime rendered do have a higher level of moisture. It's designed to take in moisture then naturally evaporate but if you seal the walls then it stays in the wall and causes problems. You can't inject the walls, it's a waste of money and will cause problems down the line. Best solution would be to use slate.

Take a picture of the outside wall where the damp is and take some of the inside so we can get a better angle on it.

Sponsored Links
Peaps, Why do you have to quote him you clown theres only you and him involved in the conversation!
Supposeyou gonna quote The pictures hes gonna put up!

Dabomb3k, damp meters some times read as damp even on cold spots. These machines arent 100% accurate. Any damp areas should be hacked plus some! Then lime render as mentioned. If it is damp there will be some source at this level.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back