Advice on type of sander needed ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to remove some Cuprinol colour shed paint from a 6x4 shed as it looks like it has woodworm and I’m keen to treat it and then repaint.

I’m not sure if I need a detail/ belt orbital or mouse sander though - grateful for advice please!

Sponsored Links
A shed would probably be a bit much for a mouse sander on its' own. Belt sander is fast, but can't get into the corners, so for those you'll need a delta sander or a multitool or a mouse sander to deal with. Personally, in your position I'd either hire a belt sander for the weekend, or if I was on a tighter budget and owned a corded drill, I'd chuck up a rubber sanding backing pad and get some sanding discs and use that instead (cheap as chips solution). Either way I'd want something like a Metabo delta sander or a multitool and sanding pads to do the corners.

Thanks so much!

Just found this on clearance which I’m hoping might do the job , please shout if it’s a bad one to buy!

Honestly don't know, but at that price, and with the fact that if it goes wrong you can just take it back, I don't thinknyou van go wrong.

To strip paint you'll need sonething like P40 or P60 grit sanding belts (i.e coarse), but don't forget to get some loose sanding sheets or a roll to do into the corners, etc

Sponsored Links
Surely the problem is that treatment typically doesn't penetrate more than a few millimetres?
In which case you’ll have the same problem no matter which side the treatment even if treating in both sides?
Treated my oak mantle 8inches deep from top only , no further signs.

Just treat from inside.
They entered from the inside I guess. Won't get through from treated side. Might dig out of treated side though.
Treat inside and slap another coat on outside and forget about it

I bought a cheap belt sander last summer to take the roughness off some wooden gravel boards I wanted to use as fencing and it’s pretty aggressive. Worked a treat, and quickly too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back