1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on sander selection

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by DR Wz, 4 Dec 2019 at 3:57 PM.

1. DR Wz

DR Wz

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I am planing to repaint 3 window sills. Each one is 54cm x 178cm. 2 are south facing and get full sun (as and when) most of the day.
    I need to sand down and am not sure what sander to get. I have had a orbital, which was great for dry walling but I don't think so in this situation. A detail sander is too small, possibly. I have no idea about belt sanders. Any advice ?
    I plan to have a top coat of an oil based gloss. Mainly to stand up to the sun. Is this the best option ?
    These are being repainted because of some staining and some orange peal due to my previous efforts using some water base product.

Thanks
    David

2. oldbutnotdead

oldbutnotdead

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    How many layers of paint are on the sills? Are they actually proper wood or are they MDF?
    If they are real wood and old (so many layers of paint) I'd burn the bulk of it off, finish with wirewool and paintstripper then light sand by hand with 120 grit and away to go

Belt sanders are great for removing lots of material very quickly but not great at getting into corners/edges (without leaving some damage). Orbitals in my experience aren't clever on painted surfaces (great on car body filler though). Multitools are good for spot detailing of high spots, blemishes etc.

Pics would be handy to see how bad the orange peel effect is, you may be just as well scraping all the loose rubbish off then hand sanding with 60 then 120 then 200 (if you want to go to those lengths)

3. opps

opps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'd use a random orbital sander. They remove stock much faster than orbital sanders.

https://www.axminster.co.uk/power-tools/sanders-polishers/random-orbit-sanders

I'd start with 80 grit paper and then (if need be, drop down to 150-180 grit).

You can use your existing orbital sander for the internal corners.

Belt sanders remove stock even faster but in the wrong hands you risk gouging the surface.

Are these exterior concrete/stone sills? You will need to use oil based undercoat as well as gloss. Apply the paints early in the day. At this time of the year the early afternoon dew will make the gloss become dull if you apply it to late in the day. Add some terebene to the paint to help it cure faster.