Best sander for skirting boards and door frames?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys,

There are simply far too many sanders available these days - orbital, mouse, 1/2, detail etc but what is the best sander for skirting boards and door frames?

I'd like to achieve a good job in a fairly quick time without wasting £££'s on Sand Paper.

The current state of the skirting boards/door frames is that they are layered with gloss. I'd like to sand them back down to the wood and repaint with some eggshell paint.

I was looking at the following two models:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/83256...eWalt-D26441-GB-240V-Palm-Sander#BVRRWidgetID

and

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/31810/Power-Tools/Sanders/DeWalt-D26430-240V-300W-Detail-Sander

Am I on the right track or way off?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Evening Systematic,

If you're taking everything back to wood you'd be better off using a stripper. Sandy creates lots and lots of dust. And if they are old boards they may contain lead in the paint.

Stripping may be a better option. But if sanding is your preferred tactic go the palm sander and get some 40 grit paper on a roll much more economical than buying pre cut sheets.

The detail sander will take for ever.

Also it depends on your boards and architraves if they are shaped at all sanding will be even harder work.

Hope this helps.

Stripping may be a better option.
The detail sander will take for ever.

Agree with Eye. The sanding will take you forever and you will wish you never started.

If the paintwork is that bad you should consider renewing the wood. I did and was a lot easier. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back