Easy one for the pro's - Best sander for Frames & Skirti

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are simply far too many sanders available these days.

What is the best sander to buy for sanding down skirting boards and door frames?

I'd like to achieve a good job in a fairly quick time without wasting £££'s on Sand Paper

The current state is that they are layered with gloss. I'd like to sand them back down to the wood and repaint.

Was looking at:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/83256...eWalt-D26441-GB-240V-Palm-Sander#BVRRWidgetID

and

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/31810/Power-Tools/Sanders/DeWalt-D26430-240V-300W-Detail-Sander

Am I on the right track or way off?

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Probably best to use a heat gun or Nitromors and scraper to remove the majority of the gloss layers first. After removing most of the paint, I'd probably use the detail sander to get right into the corners.
I certainly wouldn't just use a sander to remove large areas of layered gloss paint. ;) ;)

Heat is the quickest and paint stripper the slowest with sanding somewhere in between.Large flat areas are easily sanded but short skirting and architrave etc require a lot more work. If you have plain skirting etc it can be quicker to replace than cleanup.My daughter just moved into a flat where skirtings had many poor coats of paint [dripmarks etc] I replaced skirting to bedroom and lounge in a couple of hours complete with box skirting to some ugly pipes, cost £45 in ready primed mdf and one coat of paint later looked like new.
Door frames with plain architrave I stripped the frame of architrave and planed the door liner to remove paint , took a belt sander to architrave and had doorway back to timber in 20mins.
Replacing timbers to doors frame can be cheaper and quicker than spending money on paintstripper or sandpaper and heat guns often cause more damage in amateur hands..
And after hours of paint stripping you may well find that the timber is in such a poor condition that it need replacing anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back