Random orbit sander - three questions in one!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The motor bearing in my belt sander just seized and melted through the case :cry: I do general refurb & decorating type work around my house and those of friends and relatives, and it was mainly used in that sort of role. But it was too aggressive for many applications (and I had nothing but trouble with the belt tracking), so I'm thinking a random orbiting type of sander would be more versatile (i.e. the sort that orbits 'and' rotates). Does that seem like a reasonable choice for an only/main sander?

If so, there seem to be two models that have dual diameter settings for the size of orbit, which sounds handy for the versatility I want: the metabo SXE450 and the DeWalt D26410. The Metabo seems favourite as at £155 its around £50 less than the DeWalt and still seems to get lots of decent reviews. Does anyone know of a reason why I should spend more on the DeWalt, or if the dual orbit is actually worth having?

The final issue is that both models are available in 230v and 110v. Following recent redundancy, I'm going to try starting a new career in general residential renovation/refurbishment. Its unlikely I'll be on sites formally requiring 110v, but then who knows where it may end up going, so I'm thinking I should perhaps begin getting 110v tools as my 240v DIY ones need replacing, and enjoy the safety benefits too. Aside from the cost and weight of a site transformer, can anyone see a down-side to that?

Many Thanks,
Kev

Sponsored Links
Don't underestimate how much of a pain in the a*se it is to lug a transformer around. IMO the main safety aspect of 110v is where other workers can cut through your cable, if you're working on your own or with one or two others it's not an issue tbh.

Good point, thanks for making it. I could well be underestimating that; at the moment all my stuff is either used at home (where it is already), or at friends/relatives houses (which are secure, habitable places in which tools can just be left). If I'm going to be living in a caravan and/or travelling to site with all my tools each day it could be very different.

Cheers
Kev

Metabo is a very wekk made brand, DeWalt on the other hand (Black & Decker stable) are good but not as good, in my opinion. I have a Parkside (Lidl) and its very good, about quarter of the price you've quoted...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Yes, I've got a couple of other tools by Metabo and DeWalt and they seem fine to me, so that probably agrees. Can't say I'd noticed enough difference to pick a leader as yet, but as long as neither is streets ahead/behind the other then probably it doesn't really matter too much to me.

I'd be very happy to go for cheaper, though - I don't do a massive amount of sanding and I have been made redundant so every penny counts. Just that I've been stung with budget (and not so budget!) tools so many times over the years that I struggle not to be pessimistic - sometimes failing just out of warranties and/or simply being a bit pants at their job.

But £150+ does seem quite a lot for occasional use of a sander, when both the drill/driver and impact driver I use almost all the time are far less, so yes thats a good point. I'll look at the Parkside and other brands/models again - perhaps I'm chasing things that I don't need.

Cheers
kev

I have the dewalt orbital sander. Great piece of kit.

Good control and variable speed. Can't comment on the other make / brand, but the dewalt is great for general sanding....makes light work of it, without any of the issues of a belt sander which can sand too quickly.

Personally I prefer a 1/4 plate sander as you can get in the corners. Cheap as chips and use standard roll paper.

BTW,Don't expect to make a living unless you can answer every question in every forum on this site.

Thanks chaps, thats helpful.

Yeah, I could probably get a finer sander too. At the mo I usually do that by hand (the modern abrasives and fillers and things seem much less tedious than they used to be), But productivity is about to become more of an issue so it would probably make sense given their cheapness. I really need something with more gutts though, hence my thinking that a random orbital would be a better compromise than a belt sander. But its a great thought; I could probably get a fixed/bigger orbit sander if I also have a finer one, overall it would probably cost less and be more versatile.

Hmm, I suppose that I 'could' answer every question on the forum, but not always very helpfully! Its definitely going to be a learning curve, especially getting the budgets right and working to them, and there must be many things I've not done before. But at least over the years I've refurbished a couple of houses largely from shells, doing most of the work myself, and I'm now single and willing to live frugally and work long hours, so 'hopefully' I'll have at least some chance of making a go of it. If not, then at least I won't always wonder 'what if'.

Cheers
Kev

Have a Makita [£150] and it performs almost as well as a belt sander, ideal for decorating prep work. Only down side is the velcro type pad wears very quickly and costs a third of the original cost to replace.

Thanks that sounds exactly what I was hoping then :)

Aside from the cost of the new pad, anyway. Although given the amount of grief my belt sander gave me, a pad wearing still seems a step in the right direction.

Cheers
Kev

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back