Small Sander .. is the random orbit sander the best option ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Santa (??) is going to bring me a small sanding machine in a few weeks time.

I want to update some pieces of furniture, so need the sander. No doubt it would come in useful for other DIY jobs too.

I've been having a quick search online and it seems the random orbit sander is the best option for what I want to do. is this correct ?

Something like this >>> http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7154416#

Of course the cost of the sanding discs need to be thought about. I've read that the 'velcro' discs are more expensive than the discs with glue on the back.

Has anybody got a good suggestion for a decent sander please ?

thank you

Sponsored Links
To get back OT...

Of course the cost of the sanding discs need to be thought about. I've read that the 'velcro' discs are more expensive than the discs with glue on the back.
Pressure sensitive adhesive (PSA) discs are indeed cheaper than velco backed, BUT Velcro-backed discs have the major advantage that you can swap between different grits easily (consider sanding through the grits from P60 to P100 to P120) and then swap back again to work on another area. With PSA discs once they are off the machine the adhesive rapidly picks up dirt and even if you can keep them clean you'll find that they loose their stickiness after 2 or 3 times on the machine. They are best for large scale sanding jobs where a single grit disc will be on the tool for extended periods (in fact until it clogs or wears out) such as sanding off cars before spraying. In woodworking and furniture refinishing they fell out of favour many years ago once Velcro become more widey available simply because of the need to change grits more frequently. The cheapest option of all is to use alumimnium oxide sanding rolls, but that limits you to an orbital sander.

In terms of use a random orbit sander (ROS) will generally cut quite a bit faster than an orbital sander, but what they can't do it to work into tight corners, so you are likely to find yourself finishing in corners by hand. To work into corners a Delta sander is more useful although slower on the large surfaces than an ROS (and BTW they also use Velcro abrasives). The belt sanders mentioned above are extremely fast (aggressive) but are falling out of favour even for joinery work these days because they tend to be so unwieldy. On veneered furniture they are just too aggressive especially in the hands of a tyro and it is extremely easy to sand through the surface veneers and into the substrate (often MDF or chipboad) with one. They are OK for solid wood, though, providing you have sufficient flat surfaces to sand - but they must be kept on the move side to side and friont tio back all the time to prevent over sanding

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
To get back OT...

Thank you very much for your detailed and informative reply.

That's a good point regarding the velcro pads ... when jumping back and forward between different grits. I had never thought about that. If I sand a chair i would probably want to finish the sanding on the first chair and then start the painting. i don't think i would have the patience to sand all 6 chairs before starting the fun bit .. the painting.

Going on the back of previous comments about a detail sander.
If you have a multi tool then that could double up as one, then get a good random orbital.
The mouse sanders do work well and have there use.

*groans*

That Bosch sander has a 1.5m flex.

Why do firms do that? How much would an additional 2.5m flex cost, 25 pence?

So the buyer now has to buy an extension lead which will snag on corners/edges.

i don't think i would have the patience to sand all 6 chairs before starting the fun bit .. the painting.

You would be best advised to do so other wise when your sanding another chair the dust will go onto the wet paint on the first one :)

For what it is worth, Velcro backed paper is much cheaper if you don't by it from the DIY sheds.

I pay about £30 for 50x 80grit 150mm (Festool) sheets. The dust extraction holes are different though. Otherwise you can as pay as little as half for other brands.

Last edited:
Santa (??) is going to bring me a small sanding machine in a few weeks time.

Something like this >>> http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7154416#

This one is only slightly more expensive but trade rated.

http://www.its.co.uk/pd/DWE6423-Dewalt-125mm-Random-Orbit-Sander-_DEWDWE6423.htm

The Bosch one at Argos is DIY rated. A DIY tool is designed to be used for relatively short periods and then allowed to rest. Trade tools can be used for longer periods, industrial tools for prolonged periods without allowing to need the motor to cool down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back