Wrist pain using random orbital sander?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Bought myself a milwaukee M18 bos125 a few weeks ago. Its the first time I've used a ROS and I can't believe i didn't buy one before. It does a great job of sanding and the dust collecting is very good, but after I used it for the second time (and I used it for a few hours) i had quite painful wrists for a few days. Is this normal? Am I just being a wimp?

One thing I noticed is that the sander has a bit of a wobble to it - more than just from the random orbiting. If i lightly hold it in place on a flat piece of wood the sander wobbles around which causes a rotation on my wrist. The tempo of this wobble is slower than the random orbiting motion. I can't really notice it that much whilst sanding but I wondered if this wobble is normal for a ROS and if not could it be causing the pain in my wrist?

Sponsored Links
One thing I noticed is that the sander has a bit of a wobble to it - more than just from the random orbiting.

The pad might be faulty. I used to hate using my Festool RO125 sander on very flat surfaces such as MDF. I used to have to use two hands to secure it and tilt it very, very slightly otherwise it would bounce off the surface. I relegated it to sanding MDF with an interface (foam interface) pad until the day when I lent it to a friend. He trashed the pad. £37 for a new pad and the sander no longer bounces.

If you get no joy from the seller or manufacturer you could try a pad saver (or even two of them at the same time) to make the pad very slightly softer. If you purchased it recently from somewhere like Screwfix I would recommend returning it, getting a refund and then buying another.

https://www.axminstertools.com/bosch-125mm-intermediate-sander-backing-pad-pkt-2-106532

Are you using the sander with a (vacuum) dust extractor? When using my Festool RTS400 orbital sander on MDF I have to lower the suction otherwise it tries sticking in one spot and digs in. Seems unlikely with an RO though as the pad spins.

Thats the beauty of the rotex. You can switch to rotary for fast results and then back to ro for the finishing.
Its like having a belt sander and ro all in one machine. And less risk of damaging the work piece.
In ro mode I find the rotex 150 very smooth to operate. You have to hold on a bit tighter when on rotary.
But then you have a good choice of ergonomic grips also.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the tips.
I'll try to make sure I don't press so hard next time. Will also check out the pad and maybe buy another.

Thats the beauty of the rotex. You can switch to rotary for fast results and then back to ro for the finishing.
Its like having a belt sander and ro all in one machine. And less risk of damaging the work piece.
In ro mode I find the rotex 150 very smooth to operate. You have to hold on a bit tighter when on rotary.
But then you have a good choice of ergonomic grips also.

Agreed, the Rotex 150 is a brilliant machine. I use mine far more than I use the 125.

Although now discontinued, I love to get a second hand RAS115

The rotary mode looks far more aggressive.

I was lucky enough to get the RAS180 for Christmas but it is massive.

Thanks for the tips.
I'll try to make sure I don't press so hard next time. Will also check out the pad and maybe buy another.

The pad savers are designed for using with mesh papers. Both Festool and Mirka make excellent mesh papers. IMO they are far better at sanding paintwork but the heat transmission risks damaging the "velcro" on the pad, hence the use of the sacrificial pad savers. I can't be sure but even when using normal abrasives, the pads may offer a degree of dampening in the event of bounce.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back