Orbital sander pads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know if replacement orbital sander pads (not sanding disks) are universal fil?

I've got a Skil and Aldi 5" orbital, both discontinued models, and it seems that the velcro on both are not holding the disks very well.

So will any similar 5" pad fit? Or any tricks to bring these existing ones back to life?

Sponsored Links
AFAIK they aren't unfortunately. Tried swapping between Metabi, Bosch and Festool at various times in the past and no deal.

It might be possible to remove the Velcro and replace it, though. My missus tells me that there are fent web sites (cloth sellers) who sell Velcro. Don't know if it will work, though

Sponsored Links
Try hoovering the velcro, then brush it with a stiff brush, then hoover again and repeat.
Than see if it's better.
In reality this should be done every time you change disc.

I've repaired my cheap sanders...

I have glued on old Mirka pad savers and cut to the size. I use pad savers on Pro sanders and if they are still good enough I stick on my cheap sanders.
Velcro hooks can be different so mirka mesh won't stick to festool sander, but with a pad saver they do, so if repairing it maybe hit or miss with the velcro type or going to the sewing world shops. Got mine off and had to use 2 bits to cover plate, then used my soldering ion to make the holes. That works fine.
Ive used contact adhesive or polymer mastic to stick it on. Sometimes I've pealed off the old velcro but with the pad savers I've just added glue. I figure the repair will last out the sander

I've repaired my cheap sanders...

I have glued on old Mirka pad savers and cut to the size. I use pad savers on Pro sanders and if they are still good enough I stick on my cheap sanders.
Velcro hooks can be different so mirka mesh won't stick to festool sander, but with a pad saver they do, so if repairing it maybe hit or miss with the velcro type or going to the sewing world shops. Got mine off and had to use 2 bits to cover plate, then used my soldering ion to make the holes. That works fine.
Ive used contact adhesive or polymer mastic to stick it on. Sometimes I've pealed off the old velcro but with the pad savers I've just added glue. I figure the repair will last out the sander
To be clear, you stick velcro on first, then the pad savers?

With my pro sanders I use pad savers to protect pads and with festool using mirka mesh you have to or they don't stick.

So with DIY sander the hooks have degraded so you have to use glue to hold on the bad saver, leaving the degraded hooks.

If using velcro off ebay I'll peal off the the velcro (most of the time) on old sander and glue on the new in one or two bits so pad is covered

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back