Best Palm Sander for walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My second thread in this Community, I've read lots of great posts and it looks a thoroughly helpful place to be.

I was wondering about people's suggestions for dust extracting palm sanders? I've got several rooms in my house (currently covered in a very sloppily applied layer of emulsion) to sand before patching up and repainting.

Done a bit of research amongst forums and seen this recommended a few times -
https://www.paigntontools.co.uk/pow...eAQS7IFuA2TCVNuftD33l1IWO_uNH2jBoCeDwQAvD_BwE

The recommendations have been from posts a few years old so wondered if there was a better/newer model or if this is still the best option in the price bracket? I assume these types of sanders are superior to random orbital models? Was hoping for something £50 or under....

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
For what you intend I'd think this machine would be fine.....best to experiment with different grades of abrasive paper though, maximum 80 grit.
Expect the dust extraction to be satisfactory but of course no where near as good as a vacuum extraction would achieve.
I don't think you'll need a random orbital machine but of course it depends on what other projects you may have in mind!
John :)

Sponsored Links
If its modeled for King Kong's palm, then you may be in business. Otherwise no chance.

Get a Mirka hand sander and vacuum hose, unless you want Kong portions of dust floating around the house until 2025.

If its modeled for King Kong's palm, then you may be in business. Otherwise no chance.

Get a Mirka hand sander and vacuum hose, unless you want Kong portions of dust floating around the house until 2025.

Just to confirm Woody, is it the hand sander below you are saying is worth getting?

I like the Mirka

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk...ust-free-sanding-kit-d-handle-80x230mm-938887

Linked to the hoover, you can speedily sand walls with little mess.
The sheets aren't the cheapest, but last ages.

Just to confirm Woody, is it the hand sander below you are saying is worth getting?
Yes that's the one. There is also a smaller palm size version which is about half the size for smaller areas.

And get a selection of pads from 60/80 to 120/180 for plaster

Yes that's the one. There is also a smaller palm size version which is about half the size for smaller areas.

And get a selection of pads from 60/80 to 120/180 for plaster

Okay good to know thanks. Maybe this tool is better than a RO as only really intend to use it to smooth walls given the current coat of emulsion is so bad. Also to give the new primer or undercoat a good Key. I assume emulsion on top of emulsion would be find with a hand sand with 120/160 sand paper, rather than having to sand it back closer to the plaster?

I have the smaller Mirka hand sander. it is a great tool but I wouldn't want to use it or the larger version to sand whole walls.

As a decorator I am lucky enough to be able to justify spending thousands on electric sanders. I appreciate that you don't want to spend hundreds on one sander but I would strongly recommend a random orbital sander rather than the Mirka hand sander. Be advised however that if you are trying to sand away years of "orange peel" you may be disappointed. You are likely to send up smooth parts of wall surrounded by slightly flattened orange peel. Emulsion starts to overheat and clog the sandpaper if there are lots of coats of paint (and especially if some of them are vinyl silk).

You may need to use lining paper afterwards.

Don't apply too much pressure otherwise you will damage the "velcro" on the pad. You can buy pad savers if required https://www.axminster.co.uk/mirka-disc-pad-savers-ax851925

Regardless of the brand of sander, the Mirka abranet paper (used in conjunction with pad savers) is particularly effective for sanding old and thick emulsion.

With regards to connecting it to a vacuum cleaner, you may need to use gaffa tape to make the hose fit. A major downside to using a domestic hoover rather than a proper dust extractor is that the hose will be much shorter. The dust from sanding emulsion isn't too bad, it doesn't become statically charged and clog the pores in the vacuum bag like plaster dust does.

I have the smaller Mirka hand sander. it is a great tool but I wouldn't want to use it or the larger version to sand whole walls.

As a decorator I am lucky enough to be able to justify spending thousands on electric sanders. I appreciate that you don't want to spend hundreds on one sander but I would strongly recommend a random orbital sander rather than the Mirka hand sander. Be advised however that if you are trying to sand away years of "orange peel" you may be disappointed. You are likely to send up smooth parts of wall surrounded by slightly flattened orange peel. Emulsion starts to overheat and clog the sandpaper if there are lots of coats of paint (and especially if some of them are vinyl silk).

You may need to use lining paper afterwards.

Don't apply too much pressure otherwise you will damage the "velcro" on the pad. You can buy pad savers if required https://www.axminster.co.uk/mirka-disc-pad-savers-ax851925

Regardless of the brand of sander, the Mirka abranet paper (used in conjunction with pad savers) is particularly effective for sanding old and thick emulsion.

With regards to connecting it to a vacuum cleaner, you may need to use gaffa tape to make the hose fit. A major downside to using a domestic hoover rather than a proper dust extractor is that the hose will be much shorter. The dust from sanding emulsion isn't too bad, it doesn't become statically charged and clog the pores in the vacuum bag like plaster dust does.

Thanks Opps that's super useful! As far as I can tell the walls were skimmed or replastered (not sure which) so there isn't a massive amount of emulsion on the top. Was quickly painted (lots of brush marks/runs/uneven filler) so I'm just keen to get smooth walls before I repaint myself. From where we've moved radiators it just looks like plaster, then a basecoat and a top coat of matte emulsion.

It seems I'm getting hairline cracks in the plaster from where it sounds hollow behind when i knock. I think this is from the temperature changing in the room in the time since the plastering was done. There isnt a gap where the crack is it's more of a very fine and small small protruding line across the wall, that you can only see when lit from certain directions. Do you think this will likely need filling somehow or it would smooth out when I sand/prime/paint etc? It's the end of the world just more annoying than anything.

I think I'll take your advice and go with a RO based on the fact I've got lots of full walls to do, and just need a rub down rather than sanding right back through years of paint.

Thanks again for everyones help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back