advice on waste water pumps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to plumb a washing machine into a utlity room that has no easy access to the waste water drain. So, I have to run a waste pipe along the outside of the house for approximately 20 metres to get to the gulley. (I have to run the water supply like this as well so will put both in some sort of trunking so that I can insulate and protect).

Worse, this pipe will have to be virtually at ground level as it has to run around a conservatory (walls only about 1 foot high) so there is no chance of any incline.

The only solution I can think of is a waste pump (saniflo etc).

My questions:
  1. They all seem to be mascerators and I don't really need that. Are there any that are just pumps?
  2. Will the lack of gravity drop on the long pipework be a problem?
  3. Any other solutions?!

Sponsored Links
Look again at the full range of Saniflo pumps and the lack of drop on the pipe is a problem, just under 10mm per m will be ok.

There are grey water pumps available,grundfos c3 comes to mind.

Check their technical installation instructions re waste plumbing distances/drop or ask the manufacture. Running water pipes outside has the disadvantage of possible freezing,insulation just delays freezing :cautious:.

There are grey water pumps available,grundfos c3 comes to mind.

Running water pipes outside has the disadvantage of possible freezing,insulation just delays freezing :cautious:.
Nothing to freeze if the water has gone that said I would run 32mm not 22mm pipe in insulation.

Sponsored Links
Thanks both, I will check out the Grundfoss. I hadn't thought about the waste pipe freezing but obviously the water supply pipe is a problem. My thought is to lag the cold pipe and run them both in large electrical trunking (say, 75mmx75mm) and fill that with rockwool type loft insulation). If that doesn't work then I am stuffed!

Is there not a drain nearby that you could connect to by digging?

I've thought about it but it would involve digging up a concrete hardstanding for approx 10 metres to reach where the sewer pipework probably is.

I have to run a waste pipe along the outside of the house for approximately 20 metres to get to the gulley. (I have to run the water supply like this as well so will put both in some sort of trunking so that I can insulate and protect).

Is there any possibility of running the cold water feed pipe inside the property :?:

The only way of doing that is to lift the floorboards, in several rooms.

It's not even feasible to run along the walls as there would be several doorways to cross. (The utility room - currently a cupboard) is some distance from the kitchen/bathroom where I could cut into the cold supply).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back