Advice on what to ask a carpet fitter during a quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to have a lot of my house carpeted (living room, hallway, stairs, landing and 3 bedrooms). I've never dealt with carpet fitters before nor do I have any knowledge about what I should be asking about how they will do the job. I don't like feeling unprepared when someone is coming over to give me a quote so I'm basically looking for pointers to what I should be asking.

I also need some advice on underlay. There's only myself and my GF that's going to be living there so none of the areas will have high traffic.

What kind of time would the job normally take ? It's a standard size 3 bed semi. Are things like the metal trims beneath doors usually included in the price ?

Any help would be appreciated, cheers.

Sponsored Links
You do not say where or what you are having fitted....

SO..........

Normally you would visit a flooring retailer (avoid big chain stores and go independent)

...choose your desired carpet and ask them to come and measure and then quote you including fitting. They will then advise you on times.

best to go to 2 or 3 if you can - tell them all you are getting other firms in, but ask them all to quote on exactly the same carpet and underlay and extras.

Be aware fitting is considerably cheaper if there is no old flooring to uplift and remove and no furniture in the rooms either. Common sense should prevail here we all know that if you are living there then there may be a setee or bed but everything else should go! maybe have it fitted in stages

You do not say where or what you are having fitted....

SO..........

Normally you would visit a flooring retailer (avoid big chain stores and go independent)

...choose your desired carpet and ask them to come and measure and then quote you including fitting. They will then advise you on times.

best to go to 2 or 3 if you can - tell them all you are getting other firms in, but ask them all to quote on exactly the same carpet and underlay and extras.

Be aware fitting is considerably cheaper if there is no old flooring to uplift and remove and no furniture in the rooms either. Common sense should prevail here we all know that if you are living there then there may be a setee or bed but everything else should go! maybe have it fitted in stages

Thanks for the reply, I'm having hallway, stairs, landing, living room and 3 bedrooms carpeted as I said at the start of my post. Haven't chosen carpets yet, I was thinking we would buy the carpets at somewhere like united then get an independent fitter, I read up about the united carpets free fitting when you buy the underlay scam.

Can you recommend any underlays ?

The house is empty, we've been renovating for over a year and the old flooring was taken up and removed months ago.

So if it's a completely empty house with no old carpets or underlay to remove and no furniture to remove roughly what should I be paying for the fitting ? I'm in Nottinghamshire.

your choice of underlay is dependant on your choice of carpet

............an independent shop should advise you on something suitable once you pick a carpet.

I suggested seeing more than one shop so you can assimilate all the advise you receive

...of course we will advise you as well!

....go shopping sir!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Having recently had quotes ourselves here is what we learnt:

- Most 'sales' are about as genuine as a DFS sale!
- Retailers sell the same things under different names. Research is key for best price.
- Carpetright are disgustingly over priced on some items. Underlay they sell for £9 sq/m is available for £3 elsewhere for example. (That saved us £300)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back