Advice - Painting over Red Walls !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chaps/Chap'esses

Going to attempt to do my hall landing this week, just in time for Xmas but need some advice.

The walls are red, a deep crimson red (don't ask), I want the walls to be either white or an ivory white.

Obviously it's going to take a few coats to get rid of the red. What would be the best way to do this ?

I was thinking buying a cheap emulsion (white) then going over that when it dries with the paint I'm waiting it to be.

Should i be going over it in white or should i be thinking about another colour for the under coat to get rid of the red?

Sponsored Links
Had a similar problem a couple of years ago.
Do not do as I did and use paint from a DIY 'superstore', it took me 7 coats, yes 7 coats, to cover it.
It may be a little dearer but buy white trade emulsion. (I only use dulux)
The pigment, I have since found out is a lot lot stronger and it covers a lot quicker and gives a better depth of colour.
I now wont use anything else

You could try base coat. Seems one of our rooms was once red, the walls are ok but there are still small bits showing through the edges of skirting and archatrave despite many coats of white gloss!

Sponsored Links
A couple of coats of medium grey matt by a good maker will kill the colour. Then you can paint it white.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back