Advice: party walls, chimney, vents etc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have some general questions regarding some maintenance.

The party walls in the loft space have a couple of bricks missing and the mortar is very crumbly. This was flagged up when in my survey when I bought my house a year ago - including a hazard for fire potentially spreading. I got a quote to get this seen to (along with a few other bits and pieces) and the builder suggested filling in the gaps with expandable foam, and gluing fireboard over the walls to protect them. Does this sound like a good solution?

I also need to get a chimney capped properly. This only extends through the first floor and roof space. (The chimney breast was removed from the ground floor years ago.) Where should the chimney be vented?

Cheers
Shaun

Sponsored Links
Hi,

The vent wants to go inside the house, in whatever room the chimney passes through (assuming it is a bedroom?) either near the floor or near the ceiling will do, it's just to prevent the air inside the chimney condensating and creating damp. Probably easier to vent nearer the floor assuming there was a fireplace there and it's just boarded over

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back