Advice please on plumbing system at our house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in the early stages of updating our bathroom and an en-suite room. We've recently moved in so i'm not 100% sure of how the system works...anyway...this is what I plan to get done.....

We have a cold water storage tank in the loft.......a hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard , and a boiler in the kitchen. We would like a shower fitted in the en-suite , and a normal run of the mill bath suite (with a fixed shower attachment to the taps) in the bathroom. The shower in the en-suite will be a thermostatic shower , and intend to get a twin pump (3 bar) installed also.

Do you think this will work ok......and will we have any problems regarding temperature and power of water especially if someone is using the shower whilst other taps are opened. Should the water cylinder be of a certain size.....I'm a novice at Plumbing but am open to any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
The shower will require a dedicated hot and cold supply to the pump to be installed and from there onto your thermostatic mixer. Because of this it will not be affected by other hot or cold draw offs whilst the shower is operating.

Are you certain you want a 3 bar pump?

Is the pump going to run just the en-suite shower or both showers/bath or all taps in the house? A friends ran two showers off one pump which worked fine except if two people had showers at the same time, the cold water tank ran dry in about 5 minutes. He had to upgrade his water tank to a significantly larger one to cope.

I used to have a non-thermostatic power shower (and the rest of the plumbing was gravity fed), and never had any problems with someone flushing the toilet/running taps when the shower was running, as the pump seemed to take priority over gravity. So would suggest a thermostatic mixer would do you fine.

I would certainly consider (if your tank is up to it), to pumping both showers (and bath - it fills up well quick) - as gravity showers are rubbish!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back