Advice please - Piling for an extension.

I find it difficult to believe that you need £15ks worth of piling for a small domestic extension, something doesn't add up.

There must be a cheaper solution. Digging deep strip foundations is nowhere near as expensive as some people make out.

Or perhaps steel beams and padstones? My friend (also lives in Essex btw, Epping) has just had this done for a large double storey extension.

I had a single storey (solid construction, block, brick, pitched tiled roof) outbuilding built about a year ago. This was within a few metres of a number of large trees and I have clay rich soil.

Though it didn't need BRegs approval I paid for an engineered solution for the foundations and again it was padstones and steel beams. It wasn't expensive.

P1020868.jpg

P1020871.jpg

P1020877.jpg

P1020878.jpg

P1020879.jpg

I REALLY CANT BELIVE THE SIZE OF THOSE STEELS .

Someone is taking the pee--no wonder builders get a bad name .
regarding why the piling was advised - look at original post .
Clay/soil ?

DIFFERENTIAL MOVEMENT OF GROUND- PILING IS ONLY/SENSIBLE ANSWER.
I could send up a team of first class guys to doit- no messing no fuss and no 'rip off'.

Peter, I'm not sure what you are talking about. What is wrong with the size of the steels? Too big, too small?

I think its best you ask Mr Singh and his mottley crew.
However- steels are good size for sitting on padstones.
tell me something please - are you a asian gentleman ?.

Sponsored Links
indus";p="2663112 said:
Hi Peter

1) I am not Asian, though I'm not sure what that has to do with it.

2) Whatever you may or may not think about the steels they weren't recommended by 'Mr Singh'. The foundations were designed by a structural engineer. The structural engineer happens to be the brother of the head of Building Control for my borough.

The builders just built to the drawings.

3) I'm not sure why you describe them as a Motley Crew?

4) They are the same Motley Crew that did my loft extension to an excellent standard and I'm very happy with their work.

5) These are the same Motley Crew that have almost completed a £200k job for a friend of mine with no problems.

5) They are the same Motley Crew that will very probably get the contract for my next project which is a £100k+ double storey side extension.

Don't take offence but your post seems to make lots of assumptions and generalisations

However I'd appreciate it if you followed through on your previous criticism/comment. Why do you feel the steels 'are taking the pee'?

Peter, I think you should get back to the GD forum with your thinly veiled racism, as it isn't welcome here on the building forum.

With regard to your original comment, what size steels would you suggest should be used to carry a wall spanning that sort of distance? A 127x76?

Anything more than half a brick thick needs at least 200mm to sit on, so why use less than a 200 wide beam. Even allowing for concrete cover, it ensures the load is taken directly by the beam.

Sponsored Links
I am aware of what size steels need to be to sit a half brick wall on- thank you . 100mm masonry -200mm steel.
My own 2 story ext had the same--but- at a higher level.
Sat on 3 pillars spanned over 7m on one side.
Not a racist at all in fact I have indian friends .
I resent your accustation--be very careful please .

I asked if the poster was foreign- because of the emphasis on price. It is their culture .
Also- the building team were Singhs --it seems .

British builders have a different way of looking at construction methods .

From the pics It looked like the steels were oversized- and in excess of what was required .

I asked if the poster was foreign- because of the emphasis on price. It is their culture .
Peter, I don't need to be careful. Nothing I've said sounds racist. Your previous comment sounded racist, and even this comment doesn't exactly sound like you are a bastion of tolerance.
You can dress it up however you like but with comments like yours it's you who might need to be careful, as you entire attitude doesn't exactly come across as enlightened.

PS. I don't know, but I would imagine that most people in these difficult economic times keep at least one eye on the budget when planning improvements.

Peter, you are quite funny! :D

There is a hint of racism in your posts (ie you say foreigners have an emphasis on price) but I won't dwell on it as it won't help the op. And you probably (I hope) you don't mean anything by it.

I'm British but my builder is indeed 'Mr Singh'. And I must say a nicer, calmer more friendly builder I'm yet to meet.

The team is always punctual, hard working and very flexible. In my experience there is no difference in their construction methods (as you put it) as they should be following the regs drawings anyway. As you can probably tell I've been very happy with them. And just to be clear, I did not choose them on the basis of price, they weren't the cheapest when I had my loft done. I just happened to get the outbuilding done from them at a cheap price because they were short of work.

Anyway, back to the matter in hand. If you are saying the steels are over specced I really could care less. I'd always rather over specced than under.

It also seems quite common practice for structural engineers to do this, it makes life easier for them and covers their backsides. To be honest within reason I don't mind this approach. If I showed you pics of the steel that went into my loft you'd probably pass out

:D

But am I really interested in trying to save a few quid by questioning it? No. Overspec within reason is fine by me

Peter, I don't need to be careful. Nothing I've said sounds racist. Your previous comment sounded racist, and even this comment doesn't exactly sound like you are a bastion of tolerance.
You can dress it up however you like but with comments like yours it's you who might need to be careful, as you entire attitude doesn't exactly come across as enlightened.

PS. I don't know, but I would imagine that most people in these difficult economic times keep at least one eye on the budget when planning improvements.

Of course people have to keep a eye on the budget . If you read my earlier replies on this thread you will see.
I hate people being ripped off- simple as that . It gives everyone in the game a bad name- although some deserve a bad name and should be named and shamed .
I have a very thick portfolio of the work I have completed over the years- complete with written testimonials from my clients.
I have never ever ripped anyone off- quite the contrary-- I have been a very soft touch for the people I have liked and have done lots of extras FOC .
Please dont go down the racism route--that is unfair indeed.
I do NOT need to cover anything at all up.
However- I have to be careful on here because certain people (like British people do) do not like to see anyone succeeding in anything--unlike in USA--where people applaud it .

On that note- I am off to watch TV.

I can give you advice on building--but I cant quite chat about costs in your area.
here in Lancs- things are affordable --and if not- and we like the clients-- we try to make them affordable .

Hi Indus, did you ever post an image of your finished out building? I would love to see it.
Love to speak to your engineer and builder too as we would like to get something similar built.
we are in North London on clay soil next to trees
cheers
s

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back