Extension footings advice please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.
I am looking for advice on a self build extension.
Having obtained the necessary permissions, we are ready to start with the ground works.
There are approximately 32 linear metres of footings require digging out to a depth of approximately 1 metre by 650mm width.

Strip foundation is to be 250mm deep.

There is already a pile of rubble from breaking up the concrete base where the garage was.

Am I better off hiring a mini digger, dumper & skips separately or getting company to come and do the lot including removal of the excavated earth etc with such as a grabber truck?

What sort of quantities am I looking at with regard to the size of truck/amount of skips I am going to need?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I'm in no way a professional but if you dig out soil etc it will bulk out. So your 0.65m³/m of trench will bulk out to more like 1m³/m in the skip. So calculate your disposal and then work out how many ships you need as you can get a few sizes of skip.
Also think about where you can leave it, a grabber truck load will take a fair bit of space that needs to be accessible. A skip you can even leave on the road if you get the permit so it's more flexible. Depends if your in a terraced road in zone 3 London or a farm site in Norfolk.
I reckon call a few companies in the area and see what they offer for your site.
Good luck!

Am I better off hiring a mini digger, dumper & skips separately.
Depends how good you are with a digger. There is also a lot needs doing prior to the digger bucket going into the ground with regards to water, gas, electric, drains, fibre optic etc. Few companies will take responsibility unless the ground has been surveyed and marked out by the client.

Grabs work out better economically as long as you have the dumping space and grab access.

Very important: Make sure your road stop tap is turn on and off-able.(y)

Sponsored Links
Don't forget that as you are only having a shallow strip, some of the soil that comes out, will be going back in again. So don't dump it all.

Those roll on/roll off skips work out much cheaper than your normal 8yard ones too.
Watch out, many you can't fill with soil or rubble. There is a max weight that you'll hit far before that.

Last edited:
Depends how good you are with a digger.....

Very important: Make sure your road stop tap is turn on and off-able.(y)

Never used a digger before but I think it would be false economy trying if I spend half the hire period learning.

Yes good advice re the stop tap I will check that first!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back