Advice please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a Baxi VP Gas Fireside Central Heating Unit with a Baxi Bermuda 401 Back Boiler.
Asked in local shop about possibility of replacing fire with maybe a Living Flame one. However they said I would need to have the back boiler removed (something about legislation?), and a new one put somewhere else instead of behind the fire. This sounds like a big upheaval!

What are my options please?

Sponsored Links
The inset flame effect fire fronts only fit a specific BBU and not your 401.

Sadly I would have to agree with the shop's advice. Remove the BBU, have a new condensing boiler fitted and the system brought up to date, then have a new inset fire fitted.

yeah sorry you cant get the inset fires to fit the old bbu and you cant replace your bbu with another its all to do with energy saving only options are stick with what you have or a new condensing boiler somewhere else and inset fire

:( oh no. Does this mean having floors taken up? Had new kitchen floor not long ago, and all the bathroom (upstairs) done two years ago! Plus new lounge carpet fitted too........

Sponsored Links
Depends where your pipe runs are, but often most work is just around the airing cupboard area.

Impossible to tell without seeing your property though.

:cry: airing cupboard??? Thats gone! Had cistern put up in loft and got rid of airing cupboard to have large shower unit installed! Yikes, think I'd better stick with what I've got (for now anyway).

Thanks for replies guys.

If you have a cylinder in the loft and the pump is there as well it might be possible to fit a new boiler in the loft with little disruption downstairs.

The old BBU is very inefficient and you might save about 30-40% of your gas bill with a new condensing boiler.

The cost might be from about £1300 upwards.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back