advice putting up a garden fence please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, could anyone offer some advice replacing my garden fence?
I alreadt have small concrete post which are bolted to wooden posts and have 7ft wide panels.
I have had 7ft wide by 5 ft high feather edged panels made, and ordered 3x3 inch fence posts.
Whats the best way to erect the fence? Shall I use bolts or coach screws to attach the new 3x3 posts?
Theres no batten down the side of the panels but I have clips, is that the way to go or shall I nail in battens and screw straight into the posts?
Im not great at DIY got someone helping me this weekend but would appreciate some knowledgable input.
Ive added some pics, foxs wrecked the fencing, lol
//www.diynot.com/network/Irnbru72/albums/
Thanks

It's the garden album guys, wasn't sure how to upload just the relevant images.

Sponsored Links
use galvanised coach bolts to attach the new posts, you might even be able to use the old bolts providing there long enough and not rusty.

If the fence panels came with clips then you should use these, what do they look like? Usually the rails on the back of feather edge fencing would be triangular shape and you would use arris rail brackets.

Are you sure the existing panels are 7 ft wide, they look like 6ft which is the standard width for fence panels.

use galvanised coach bolts to attach the new posts, you might even be able to use the old bolts providing there long enough and not rusty.

If the fence panels came with clips then you should use these, what do they look like? Usually the rails on the back of feather edge fencing would be triangular shape and you would use arris rail brackets.

Are you sure the existing panels are 7 ft wide, they look like 6ft which is the standard width for fence panels.

Hi thanks for the response.
There 7 ft for sure,, just my luck, lol in order to keep the small concrete posts I had to have them made 7 ft wide, they only make them in feather edge so went with that, there not triangular there square battens, the guy just gave me some clips but they are not perfect, I may have to chisel a few mm out of the battens but the clips do bend quite easily.

As you can guess I'm not to great at DIY so i was just after some ideas some help... I also had trellis made to go on top in 7 ft lengths too.

The existing posts are 3 inch by 6 cm so they've been cut to adapt to the space, I have 3 x3 inch by 8 ft posts so will probably need to cut them to fit the existing space.
If you need any more pics let me know and I'll upload them.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the extra pics. As you say looking at those brackets there not perfect but they will probably do the job if you remove a bit off the battens with a chisel or something of that nature.

If the panels still feel a bit insecure once in you could always use some angle brackets fastened between the battens and the posts to help make it a bit more secure.
Angle brackets - http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Con...ustable+Angle+Bracket+50mm/d210/sd2797/p84226

I've had a look around at various brackets on the web but can't find anything that would be just perfect. As I said earlier feather edge panels are normally constructed using triangular shaped battens and then secured in place using these http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Con...k/Arris+Rail+Bracket+300mm/d210/sd2797/p67763

Thanks for the reply and advice PVMS, the brackets you posted look a good bet, I can cut or chisel a few mm off the battens too but think ill order some of them brackets as well.
The guy who made them dropped me down extra battens incase I wanted to fill the gaps and screw straight into the wooden posts.
Think ill use the brackets because these panels feel much heavier than the ones in the DIY stores.
I've checked the bolts on the concrete posts, there is only one that has rusted so not bad considering there is 3 on most posts, also unscrewed a little and they all unscrew easily not sure if they will come out mind, didn't want to as it would have pulled a section of fence down and my neighbours wouldn't be to happy, lol hope they come out then I can reuse them.
Thanks again, much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back