Advice Re Outside Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering extending my Home Automation system so that it can control an existing coach light next to my front door, automatically turning it on & off by time of day or other events that happen within the house that it's aware of. My challenge is that the ZWave module that I want to install is not rated for outside use & therefore needs to be wired in somewhere inside. Normally I'd put it into the pattress box behind the lightswitch but I need a neutral wire for this to work & there are only 2 switched lives present (double lightswitch - one 2way for downstairs hall, the other for the outside light), consequently I need to find where the light is taking it's neutral from & potentially tap in there.

When the house was built about 15 years ago the outside light was a standard install by the builder so it's wired into the downstairs lights. Before I go cutting bits out of walls to find the wires I was wondering if there are any site electricians on here who would hazard a guess as to where they are likely to be given my plan below. Dotted area indicates that the upstairs overhangs this creating a semi enclosed porch.

I'm guessing that Bellway would not have put the cable through the cavity so I'm thinking that I could look in the room directly behind the coach light but am worried that I'll only find a switched live and neutral there (after making a mess of the internal wall) which will quickly disappear up above the ceiling. Is there likely to be a junction box somewhere above the ceiling next to the hall light or possibly above the front door or would this probably just be wired in a similar way to the other lights downstairs?

I appreciate that this is likely going to be guesswork but any help is appreciated

Regards

Steve

Untitled.jpg

Sponsored Links
If I understand your question correctly you are trying to source the live loop? As the property is only 15 years old, I would expect to find all conductor (L,N,E) loops at the nearest light fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back