advice repairing old door frame and architraves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some advice on repairing two old door frames based on their present condition. The frames have multiple coats of eggshell and various dents over time. I expect in parts they are warped as well.

Added a link to a few pics,
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/omjm90s41lywwfl/AAAKi0H3Lg-kMrn7qhgTTmoGa?dl=0

*the glue on the face architraves is just from temporary plastic dust doors

I originally asked the building contractor to replace the door frames entirely for fitting new doors.
Late in the project the discounts begun, he claimed one of the frames is supporting the blocks above and would cause too much damage to remove, instead it should be sanded and decorated (of course not part of his remit). I asked that whatever the case, frames should look as good as the new doors and at least, all architraves to be replaced.

Eventually his carpenter trimmed the doors down to fit into the old frames and only replaced the stoppers. Will not elaborate more on this, just need to understand the amount of work involved as I am not a carpenter.

Is it worth sanding, 2-part filling and decorating or better replace the architraves entirely?
I also have a multicutter with a scrapper and sander.

I am planning to redecorate the walls around the frames anyway. Any advice is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It looks like you are referring to door linings, not frames.

In which case, I would say it is very unlikely a door lining would be supporting blocks sbove :)

To be fair, if replacing door linings and architraves were not specifically listed as an item on the work schedule, the builder may not have allowed for it in his price.

Is one of the linings to a bathroom? -it looks like I can see tile edges -should that particular liner be wider to cover the tiles?

If you want the best job, new liners and archs are prob the way to go.

To remove the liners, fit new hang doors, cut round the archs Id guess is a days work for a chippie. Balance that against a few hours to clean up and decorate the existing ones

It looks like you are referring to door linings, not frames.

In which case, I would say it is very unlikely a door lining would be supporting blocks sbove :)

Yes, I meant the linings:)

I think he just meant the breezeblocks above, what a slacker...

To be fair, if replacing door linings and architraves were not specifically listed as an item on the work schedule, the builder may not have allowed for it in his price.

They were properly listed in the scope I passed on for quoting. To be honest my experience is a whole other story. The quote listing was poorly documented, proved to be ground for skipping items down the line when margins worked against his favour. This is not the purpose of my post though:p

Is one of the linings to a bathroom? -it looks like I can see tile edges -should that particular liner be wider to cover the tiles?

Yes, I forgot to mention some pics are older. This has been dealt with, this is just before the new architrave was fitted on the bathroom side, flash with the tiles. So that side is sorted and I filled the gap with silicone.
The awkward thing with the bathroom door is that originally it was made to swing the other way around (maybe 70 years ago:D), hence the red oil paint over the old stopper. He should have removed the overlapping stopper too and fill with a new piece.

If you want the best job, new liners and archs are prob the way to go.

This is what I originally asked for, unfortunately it is too late as the doors have been trimmed down and fitted :(

Is it worth spending some time detailing and replacing the architraves.
I like the old architrave profiles but I don't think I can find them, so I'd have to find something similar.

To remove the liners, fit new hang doors, cut round the archs Id guess is a days work for a chippie. Balance that against a few hours to clean up and decorate the existing ones

Interesting, they spent around 2-3 days on the two doors. Removing the old stoppers, adding new stoppers, trimming down doors and fitting the ironmongery.

I don't know how quick it will be for someone like me to scrape off all the old paint to bare wood but it's certainly going to take me more than a day :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back