Advice sought

Ban, your a clever man, why did you even feel the need to venture back to the General Discussion section, its well known you have kept away for some time and no secret what you thought of the participants.
Im sure there all nice people but its all part of there banter to argue and insult each other and i am sure no hate intended.
You back participating is like a new toy to them and your prone to attack.
Threads were getting locked frequently and posts deleted even when you was away from that forum, so its not just you being victimised.
As for Hawkeye, i did see a post where you said he had a Febile brain, which too me is quite insulting, even your post to Winston regarding smashing a Transformer in his face, may have been humorous to some, but could be taken as a threat.
Lighten up, have a joke and lets all get on including the Mods, none of us are paid, were all here for fun and to help others.

Sponsored Links
If you know about those complaints then either you have been the one making them or you are a Mod.
There have been many made in the open in forum posts - these are the ones I was referring to. And there have been multiple posts addressed to you pointing out the issues with your general attitude to others.
I have no knowledge of complaints made privately to the mods.

Complete, unassailable and morally impregnable fact: Either a post is acceptable, or it is not.
Someone apparently didn't read and comprehend before replying ...
As you yourself say, repeat offenders are likely to face stricter enforcement than others - and in the eyes of many you are a serial offender who's had special treatment (been allowed a lot of leeway) for years. As I wrote, I speculate (and it is only speculation, I am not a mod and don't have any contact with them) that the mods have finally had enough and decided it's time to reign you in.

That's all I have to say.

What are you like in the real world BAS?

Do you have hobbies and interests that you share with friends? Do you go to he pub on a weekend? Eat out much? Do you work alone or with other people? Do you get on with your neighbours?

I think it does have a lot to do with it. I’m guess you come accross in real life exactly the same as you do on here, intelligent but odd.

You do come out with some *******s.

People who want FITs for solar panels on their roof want poor old people to die to fund their vanity project.

To be fair, FITs are a subsidy for those with the cash to install the systems, paid for by everyone else. So when someone puts up some solar PV panels and claims the FITs, it does put up the lecky bills for other users - including some poor old people who will be struggling to pay for both heating and eating.
So while it is a bit Daily Fail in tone, there is actually an element of truth in it.

Sponsored Links
You may have noticed that there are times when I agree with him, and have said so - as well as times when I think he's barking, and have said so as well.

there is actually an element of truth in it.
No different to people that have brand new EV's, grant on purchase, zero excise duty, free home charger installation, then drive around on domestic electricity at 5% vat while the rest of us pay +70% on a barrel of petrol (and of note - most of the time the EV is being powered by gas fired power stations). Regressive.

We've got to get the infrastructure set up somehow though, and letting market forces lead the way isn't a bad bet when you look at how our politicians do Brexit and HS2.

So while it is a bit Daily Fail in tone, there is actually an element of truth in it.

“People who fit solar panels do it because they want people to die”. There is no truth at all.

Harrold Shipman wanted people to die, my neighbour at No.12 who has solar panels doesn’t want people to die.

Is BAS the type to call his neighbours with solar murderers? Probably, it’s how he comes accross on here and the reason he started this tread.

Either that or his own vanity project.

Unless the investment could be justified, very few people would have installed solar. I got in early and have the highest FIT tariff. My 2.4Kw system cost £12K, at the time the going rate was around 15-16k. The payback is at least 10 years +

You can easily make a case that people with:free insulation, council houses, mortgages etc are subsidised

Unless the investment could be justified, very few people would have installed solar.
True, but does not change the fact that the subsidy is on everyone's lecky bills - so it really is robbing the poor to pay the rich.

You can easily make a case that people with:free insulation, council houses, mortgages etc are subsidised
Not in the same way.
Free insulation: Depending on the scheme, usually only free to those in certain circumstances which usually means the poorer section of society. Exceptions yes, but in general the subsidy is going to the less well off.
Council Houses: Much the same, and in any case social housing rents have been going up faster than private rental rents for some years.
Mortgages: ? Never seen a free mortgage.

how do we move to more sustainable energy without schemes to make early adopters invest? Without a PV market nobody will invest in R&D.

Wind turbines get breaks, trains get breaks, cyclists get breaks, long term users of the nhs get breaks. Richer people pick up the tab for anyone who takes out more than they put in.

how do we move to more sustainable energy without schemes to make early adopters invest?
Richer people pick up the tab for anyone who takes out more than they put in.
Ah, but with renewables (FITs for solar PV, ROCs for windmills) it is NOT the rich who pick up the tab. In the other examples you cite, the subsidies/incentives come out of general taxation whic is generally paid for mostly by the rich - or more precisely, those with higher incomes. IIRC it's something like 80-90% of tax is paid by 10-20% of the people with the highest incomes.
But for renewables, the subsidies (which is what they are regardless of the name given to them) are paid for by everyone using electricity - regardless of wealth or income. For the well off, the extra is probably of little consequence. For those at the bottom, they are having their energy costs artificially inflated so that those with (say) £10k lying around and owning their own roof can save on their bills.
So while it is highly unlikely that someone installing solar PV is doing it because they want a granny to die - by their doing it, they are distinctly increasing the risk of a granny* actually dying in cold weather.
* Or other vulnerable person.

IIRC it's something like 80-90% of tax is paid by 10-20% of the people with the highest incomes.
Not disagreeing, but just to clarify. In those sort of figures, people often conflate tax and income tax. The latter is relatively easy to work out, the former less so.

From here:
The top 1% pay c. 28% of income tax.
The top 50% pay c. 90% of income tax.
The top 50% pay c. 10% of income tax (obviously) down from 12.6% in 2000.
Income tax is c. 25% of all taxation.
Households earning the top 10% of incomes pay about 27% in total of most direct and indirect taxes.

they are distinctly increasing the risk of a granny* actually dying in cold weather.
From here, the CD says that cold kills twice as many people as heat. I have seen other estimates (depending upon definitions) that the ratio is higher than 2:1, maybe as much as 10:1.

how do we move to more sustainable energy without schemes to make early adopters invest?
With things that people want or that make economic sense, early adopters pay over the odds because they want to get in first for whatever reason. For example, in the US (figures seem easier to come by) in 1900 cars cost over $1,000, the Model T was introduced in 1908 at $850 but by 1924 it was $265.

We have been installing wind turbines for 25 years onshore and almost 20 years offshore but still they need to be subsidised. In any other area that would seem odd indeed.

Like trains and farming for example - still subsidised and have been for a long time. It could be worse, if you lived in France, air, sea, rail and cars are all subsidised.

Apples to oranges comparison.

You talked about subsidising early adopters, which means that things will become cheaper over time and so not need subsidies. How long are you saying that we need to subsidise the wind generation? Are you saying it will be perpetual?

Farming & rail produce something worthwhile. Despite all of the investment and subsidies, in the last year wind supplied less than 10% of demand 40% of the time and more than 30% of demand only 7% of the time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back