Advice wanted on water cylinder/boiler or combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 30 year old water cylinder and gas boiler in my late father's property. The valve on the cylinder is leaking badly and the plumber has made a temporary repair as the valve is no longer available. He also says the boiler is on the way out. He has quoted for replacements for both -250L water cylinder unvented £1400 including vat, parts and labour and £2100 for a new boiler. It is a two bedroom, two bathroom maisonette. I'm wondering why he hasn't suggested going for a combi boiler instead? As you can see I'm a total amateur in this area but desperate for a cheaper solution than spending £3500! Would really appreciate advice and suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps changing to a combi would be more expensive?

Conversions are not always as straight forward as you might think.

Besides - we need more info on the property to give much more help.

It would appear that combi would be the best way to go, the flow/return and gas will be at hand but getting a mains supply and domestic hot water run not so straight forward, and possibly the flue and condensate positioning, some plumbers just hate combi boilers.
As said more info needed.

You say you have two bathrooms. A combi can give a decent shower, or it can fill a bath rather slowly. It can't do both at the same time.

If you try, it will give an unacceptably weak, lukewarm shower, and take a very very long time to fill the bath with tepid water. So a combi is not suitable.

Important question:
Fill a bucket at the kitchen cold tap. Time it. How many litres per minute do you get?

What colour is the incoming water main where it comes in to the property?

Sponsored Links
contary to what easy says i don't think a combi is suitable at all for a two bathroom property

Unless there's a particular requirement for mains pressure hot water, a vented cylinder is quite a bit cheaper, and doesn't need annual safety checks.

Also the boiler can be sized for the heating rather than having to be adequate to cope with instant hot water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back